• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
His attestation paper

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 2 months ago #80650

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 742
32417 SERGEANT WILLIAM YOUNG BIRRELL: CANADIAN SCOUTS
TROOPER 27490: KITCHENER'S FIGHTING SCOUTS
TROOPER 27490: COMMANDER-IN-CHIEFS BODYGUARD

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL
CLASPS: CAPE COLONY/ORANGE FREE STATE/TRANSVAAL/SA1901/SA1902

CONDITION: VGF. PATCHY DARK TONING
(Medal formerly in the collection of The late Charles Lovell and sold through Sotheby's on Thursday, 16th November 1978)

Birrell's QSA is named to the Canadian Scouts following his final stint of service in the military. I have posted his biographical account in this Bodyguard thread because the only attestation document that I can find relates to his service with the regiment and also because literary references also refer to his service in the unit.

William Young Birrell was born near Dundee, Scotland in 1876, the son of a farmer.

Following the death of his father Andrew, we see that William continues in the family business of farming as evidenced in the following notification from "The Dundee Advertiser" dated April 10th 1897:
"Four grass parks on the farm Simprim, near Meigle by public roup, yesterday afternoon. The Alyth and Meigle Auction Mart Company conducted the sale, and after spirited competition the whole were taken by Mr. William Young Birrell, Brook House, Broughty Ferry---26 acres new grass fetched £92 10s; 22 1/2 acres do. £60; 22 1/2 acres second year's grass, £40 10s; 26 3/4 acres do., £76."

I would surmise that Brook House is most probably the Birrell family home and William's birthplace.

Within three years of the date of Birrell's further investment into the family farming business, he had made his way out to South Africa to begin adventures new. He would have been of the perfect profile for the type of person the empire makers wished to colonise South Africa with at that time. And also would have had the skills of horsemanship and marksmanship essential to an efficient mounted soldier in conflict with the burghers.

He attested to the Commander-in-Chiefs Bodyguard at Durban, Natal on 10th December 1900 as Trooper 27490. Before he became time expired or the disbandment of the unit, he transferred out to Kitchener's Fighting Scouts retaining the number 27490 as he had not broken service.
His attestation papers (kindly provided by djb on this thread) gives his age as 24, nationality Scottish and his next of kin as his mother; Mrs. Forester, Norwood, Arbroath, Scotland.
I have not uncovered any evidence as to his involvement in any actions such as the ambush at Lindley and there is no record for him in any casualty lists.

He is referred to in literature again on page 229 of "The Muster Roll of Angus: South African War 1899-1902: A Record and a Tribute." 2nd edition. J. Brodie(1903).
"From the list of Angus volunteers who served in South African War, 1899-1902.
BIRRELL- William Young Birrell, eldest son of the late Andrew Birrell, farmer, Cardean and Simprim, Meigle and Whitestonelaw, Dundee. Trooper in Commander-in-Chiefs Bodyguard. Photograph no. 618"

A portrait image of William Young Birrell as mentioned above.

We now know that his mother remarried and remained in Scotland. However, his brother Ernest James Birrell must have emigrated to SA with William as he gets a mention in the same roll for Angus men (page 229; photograph no. 152). He got military training with the Cape Mounted Rifles and joined British South Africa Police at the beginning of hostilities serving under General Plumer.

Back to William! He is listed in the nominal roll for the Canadian Scouts as published by Jim Wallace and Captain Michael Dorosz in their "Knowing No Fear: The Canadian Scouts in South Africa 1899-1902".
He attested to the CS on 11th January 1902 with the rank of Sergeant and numbered 32417. He was discharged from the unit on 30th June 1902.

Following the cessation in hostilities, William settled down to life in South Africa and spent the rest of his life there.
The "Dundeee Courier and Advertiser published William's obituary on 6th November 2937:
"BIRRELL-At Johannesburg, SA, on 23rd October 1937, William Young Birrell, eldest son of the late Andrew Birrell, farmer, Cardean and Simprim, and Whitestonelaw, near Dundee, and the late Mrs. Forrester, Norwood, Arbroath."

APPENDIX
Of great interest, there were other men of Angus who served with the Bodyguard and also mentioned in Brodie's Roll of Angus. These men were;

Lt. Col. David Tyrie Laing---Commanding Officer of the C-I-C Bodyguard who was killed in action at Lindley on that fateful day of the ambush on 3rd January 1901. He is listed in the rank of Major here. (page 225. Photograph no.146).

Captain Alastair T.L. Gilroy---(page 216. Photograph no.143).

Captain Alexander Butter---killed in action at Heilbron on 1st January 1901 (page 223).

Trooper W. H. Lamond---(page 235. Photograph 620).

It certainly makes you wonder whether any of these men were known to Birrell back in Scotland. Given the social structure of society at the time, who knows?
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 2 months ago #80660

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Great post and some very detailed research.
I have 3 CinC’s Bdy Gd.
25206 Tpr J. Lea
27340 Tpr T. Lewis
22865 S.S. Maj. J.G. Rogers

Cheers,

Jim

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 2 months ago #80665

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Morning Jim,

Three papers for you. The third is for 22665 J G Rogers.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 2 months ago #80667

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 180
I note that this topic was initially started almost 10 years ago. Little more than a week ago the topic was given a new lease of life by Steve and since then various Forum members have posted numerous further contributions. In particular, David B has, once again gone beyond the call of duty, in providing copies of various attestation papers etc. We all know that doing this requires considerably more effort than simply pushing a few buttons on his computer and, voilà, the relevant documents are located from the depths of his archive and posted. So to David, once again, THANK YOU for all the effort you continue to make in and maintaining this Forum. Your dedication and helpfulness are much appreciated by all of us – and most of us know that there are many more private e-mails queries which you unhesitatingly respond to as well. You are deserving to be mentioned in despatches!

In my view, the name of this Unit, “The Commander-in-Chief’s Bodyguard” evokes considerable interest and I have keenly sought out medals to interesting recipients. It might be mentioned that the South African collector finds that this unit name re-emerged during the later campaign in German South West Africa when a similar select group of men (in this instance 100 policemen) were assembled to form a Bodyguard for Louis Botha, the Union’s first Prime Minister. Many of these chaps had seen earlier service during the Boer War and I will post such a group once I have polished his writeup.

But back to the ABW. Firstly, I need to add some further details about my recipient Benjamin William Webb, the Jameson Raider, whom I wrote about in my earlier post on this topic. Secondly, I have medals to two further interesting recipients. Of course I am hoping that DB will be able to find attestation papers for these two individuals!

Benjamin William Webb (contd.)

Single - RoK, Paard, Drief, Joh, D’Hill, Belf (6 Tpr. B.W. Webb C. in C. Bdy. Gd.)

Benjamin Webb was an original member of the Commander in Chief’s Bodyguard and is recorded as having served from 23 January to 30 April 1900. He is accorded a single sheet medal roll all to himself detailing his entitlement which is signed by Major Edward Lovegrove, the Officer Commanding the Discharge Depot of the South African Mounted Infantry Force in Cape Town on 14 March 1906, his clasp entitlement being the six bars as noted above. This medal roll also records that he had earlier served as a Private doing Permanent Duty with the Cape Town Town Guard and later as a Sergeant with the Cape Infantry. His final position was as Sergeant Major serving with the Cape Times Company (Company No 27) with the Cape Town Town Guard. As a defensive Town Guard, no medals were awarded to members the Cape Town Town Guard although many of their members, such as Benjamin, qualified for medals due to other service rendered.

Benjamin William Webb died of hypostatic pneumonia aged 81 years on 31 July 1941 having spent 4 days in the Groote Schuur Hospital in Cape Town. His Death Certificate records that he was a widower and that his last residential address was 21 Lytton Street, Observatory. I was hoping that David would be able to provide additional personal details but sadly not. I have noted that there is a reference to him in a file in the Cape Town Archives but that still needs to be investigated. Clearly there were some marital problems as his wife wrote a letter to the authorities querying if it was known where her husband was! I am hoping of course that he was a onetime member of the Dukes!

Joseph Hett

Pair – SAGS medal bar: 1878-9 (Tpr. J. Hett. Transvaal Rangs.); B.S.A. Co. medal for Matabeleland 1893 no bar (1035. Troopr. J. Hett. B.B. Police.)
Also qualified for both the QSA and KSA medals but seemingly both these medals although authorized were not issued to him.

Joseph Hett was the grandson of the Reverend William Kaye Hett, an Oxford graduate, Head Master of Heighington Grammar School in Lancashire and later Curate of Washingborough, and his wife Mary Ann Whitworth whom he married at St Mary’s Church in Bedford, England on 2 June 1825. His father, Charles Pownall Hett, was born in Washingborough in Lincolnshire on 2 October 1835. Charles was the youngest of their three sons and his marriage to Ann Isabella Wallace, Joseph’s mother, was registered in Tynemouth, Northumberland during the last quarter of 1856.

Joseph is recorded as having been born on 3 June (perhaps January/first quarter) 1860 and was baptised in Cape Town on 24 August 1862. In addition to his father and mother, his uncle, his father’s elder brother, Francis John Hett, is recorded as having been a witness to his baptism. His father Charles’ occupation is recorded as Foreman (1868); Issuer of Stores Harbour (1871); Overseer (1878) and later as Dock Foreman. Clearly, he was intimately involved with the construction of the first harbour breakwater pier in Cape Town the construction of which was commenced with great fanfare by the young Prince Alfred during his first visit to the Cape Colony in 1860. Throughout this period the family’s residential address was recorded as “Breakwater Cottages”.

Joseph Hett is recorded as having fought with the Transvaal Rangers against the Griquas and the Zulus during 1878 and 1879. It is evident that he subsequently joined the Bechuanaland Border Police being based at Mafeking as he was awarded the B.S.A. Company’s medal for Matabeleland 1893. Medal rolls indicate that he served with the Rhodesia Regiment during the Anglo Boer War qualifying for the clasps Relief of Mafeking and Transvaal with the Rhodesians. He subsequently joined the Commander-in-Chief’s Bodyguard.
(Hopefully DB has been able to locate a copy of his attestation papers)

While serving as Trooper No 22699 with the Bodyguard he was captured by the Boers under General Philip Botha, the elder brother of Generals Louis and Christiaan Botha and the father of General Manie Botha, during the engagement at Fredericks Dale on 3 January 1901.

It was during this action that Lieutenant Colonel D Tyrie Laing who was the leader of the Commander-in-Chief’s Bodyguard was shot dead with a bullet through the heart.

(The detailed story of the clash at Fredericksdale on 3 January 1901 was recorded in their admirable article by Janet Lourens and Steve A. Watt published in the Journal of the South African Military Society in June 2008.)

Joseph Hett subsequently joined the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles and evidently continued serving until the end of the War as medal rolls indicate that, in addition to the Queen’s South Africa medal with the clasps, Relief of Mafeking, Transvaal and Orange Free State, he qualified for the King’s South Africa Medal. As noted on the relevant medal roll it is clear that a QSA medal was prepared for issue however this is noted as having been returned on 25 September 1906. Seemingly the KSA medal, confirmed by Lt. Colonel Edward Lovegrove under the Johannesburg Mounted Rifles, was also never issued.

At the time of his death in the hospital at Aliwal North on 19 July 1915 he was working as a construction labourer on the Aliwal North – Zastron Railway line.

Private Harry Collins

Single – Queen’s South Africa medal five bars CC, OFS, Joh, DHill, Belf (707 Pte. H. Collins. Prince Alf. Vol. Gds.)

Private Harry Collins was one of the three members of Prince Alfred’s Guard who served as one of the original members of Lord Roberts’s Personal Bodyguard. This was considered to be a great honour and was much appreciated by the Regiment. A photograph of Private Collins, together with Privates Metlass and Strang, appears in Hall’s 1906 Regimental History. (Page 259). Collins was discharged on 7 December 1900.

RobM

Always interested in medals awarded to recipients who, at one time or another, served in The Dukes, the Duke of Edinburgh’s Volunteer Rifles.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 2 months ago #80672

• jim51
  • Thank you received: 104
Thanks David.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.987 seconds