Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 1 month ago #82200

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
  • Thank you received: 763
David (djb),
I have another two men who served with the regiment.
Could you please let me know if you have access to their attestation papers as this would be a great help with researching their histories.
Many thanks in anticipation of your reply.
The individuals as follows:

25231 TROOPER J.G. VOLSTEEDT
25573 TROOPER E. PRIMMER

I have some information on men of their names from Familysearch etc., but any information from the attestations would be most valuable in following up any leads and help confirm what I already think I know!
Cheers Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 1 month ago #82205

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4527
Steve,

Here is J G Volsteadt

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 1 month ago #82206

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
and Edgar Primmer

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 weeks ago #82492

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
25231 TROOPER JOHN GEORGE FREDERICK VOLSTEEDT

Johan Georg Frederick Volsteedt was born on 2nd January 1877 in Cape Colony to Dutch parents Vienne Adolf and Elizabeth Christina Volsteedt. He was baptized on 4th February 1877.
As often found with the children of Dutch and German descent, his name became anglicised as shown above.

I can find no previous service with any other unit by John before he attested to the Commander-in-Chiefs Bodyguard on 13th December at Cape Town receiving service number 25231.
He appears to have served his 198 days without injury being discharged Time Expired on 28th June 1901. His intended address after discharge was 72 Chapel Street, Cape Town.
For his service John was entitled to the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps; Cape Colony/Orange Free State/Transvaal/South Africa 1901, all confirmed on the medal rolls WI100/243. The medal has a lovely dark patina as can be seen in the images below.

Back in civvy street, John married Helena Marie and welcomed a daughter Anna Johanna, born on 5th January 1907 who lived to the ripe old age of 91, dying in 1998.

John's occupation was that of a Compositor as detailed on his death certificate which also tells us that he was living at 63 Welverdiend, Rounkoop Road, Rondebosch when he died of a cerebral hemorrhage on 26th July 1963, aged 86.
His remains were buried at the Maitland Crematorium.

Many thanks again to David for raising and posting the attestation paper for Trooper Volsteedt.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 weeks ago #82496

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Lovely toning on that medal, Steve, and another BodyGuard to add to your collection.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 1 week ago #82688

• Moranthorse1
  • Away
25573 TROOPER EDGAR PRIMMER: COMMANDER-IN-CHIEFS BODYGUARD

Edgar Primmer was born in South Africa in 1882. He attested to the Bodyguard on 30th December 1900 at Cape Town and was discharged time expired at Cape Town on 4th July 1901 having served for 186 days. His conduct was described as "very good" and his intended residence upon discharge was Higgs Brothers, The Kloof, Cape Town.

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL
CLASPS: CAPE COLONY/ORANGE FREE STATE/TRANSVAAL/SOUTH AFRICA 1901
CONDITION: NEF/BRIGHT/NO EDGE KNOCKS

Primmer's entitlement to all four clasps confirmed on the medal rolls for the Commander-in-Chiefs Bodyguard WO100/243.

Edgar married Miriam Shirley Phillips (1886-1966) with the union being blessed with two sons named Ormond Albert (1921-1988) and Eric James born in 1928 and tragically dying young in 1936.

I have been able to find the death notification for Edgar Primmer on Familysearch, this document proved to be very interesting as we shall see.
The document shows much deletion and re-entry of information. Apparently, Edgar Primmer was also known under the alias of John Jackson. Who knows why he chose to be so elusive!
The date of his death is recorded as 1st November 1941 at 59 years of age. He was married, and of European descent. His occupation was given as Soldier, surprising given his age. Crossed out is the comment "discharged 14th December, the year is illegible but could be 1940. Above this is written "E.S.P.C."
Edgar's home address was said to be Eagle Crags, Albany District.
Edgar's life apparently came to a sudden end as tragically detailed upon his death certificate. The cause of his demise was recorded thus:" laceration of the brain as a result of being struck by a moving train."

A tragic accident or an act of intent? Another mystery for which we will never know the answer.

RIP Edgar Primmer. Soldier.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 3.652 seconds