Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 months ago #80472

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 762
No I haven't. All of my info came from FMP, Ancestry, rolls, Google searches etc.
A couple of my bodyguard QSAs came with papers, but I have a couple more I would really like to get to know more about.
Could you please tell me how to access any extant papers for the bodyguard?
While self isolating/hibernating I find I have plenty of time to do some research and post a few biographies to a few men.
Cheers Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 months ago #80477

• Moranthorse1
25552-SERGEANT THOMAS DEXTER: COMMANDER-IN-CHIEF'S BODYGUARD

QUEENS SOUTH AFRICA MEDAL
CLASPS: CAPE COLONY/ORANGE FREE STATE/TRANSVAAL

CONDITION:VGF. BRIGHT. REPAIR TO SUSPENSION

Thomas Dexter attested to the Commander-in-Chiefs Bodyguard on 7th December 1900 at Cape Town. The nominal roll for the regiment gives his home address as 35 Melvin Road, Sherwood, Nottingham, England.

Luckily, his QSA came with his Record of Service from which we may learn a little more about him.

Thomas was discharged time expired on 28th June 1901 having enjoyed the rank of Sergeant with character described as 'very good'. His total length of service was 204 days.
His address after discharge was 42 Ebenezer Road, Cape Town.
The document is finally signed off by Major Edward Lovegrove, O.C.Discharge Depot, S.A.M.I.F., following Thomas having signed to confirm that he had returned all government property.

The Medal Roll for the bodyguard confirms his entitlement to the three clasps on his QSA. There are no entries in the Remarks column.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 months ago #80484

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4523
Steve,

In FamilySearch, there is a death certificate for a Thomas Dexter who died in Johannesburg 25 May 1905 aged 49. Born c 1856. He was described as a telegraph operator.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 months ago #80485

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4523
Steve,

I have copies of the CinCBG attestation papers so, if there is any others you need, please let me know.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 months ago #80494

• Moranthorse1
Many thanks David,
I do have a few as follows for which I would be very grateful for attestation details please.

22576- Tpr. CARL RAUCHOLD NEILSON
22774-Tpr. EMIL HASELAN(QSA to Cape Colonial Forces Served in 'G' Squadron)
Major REGINALD MAINWARING-BSAC medal with Bulawayo Field Force as a Major on Staff. Recruiting Officer for bodyguard. I do have a fair bit of information for him, but maybe there is more out there.
25473-Tpr. DAVID COOPER NICHOLSON
22519-Ppr. NICHOLAS WILLIAM PINCH COLEMAN
27477-Tpr. E.WALTON-QSA accompanied by Birmingham Boer War Tribute medal. I suspect from Tardebigge, Worcestershire son of a bargee.

Many thanks again.
Steve

Medals to the Commander in Chief's Bodyguard 2 years 3 months ago #80496

• RobCT
  • Thank you received: 181
I am fortunate in having medals awarded to two members ( one only attached) of the Commander in Chief’s Bodyguard.

The first is the following six clasp medal unfortunately missing it’s companion B.S.A. Co. Medal as follows: (I am hoping that David B has a copy of his attestation documents! I would be delighted!)

Single - RoK, Paard, Drief, Joh, D’Hill, Belf (6 Tpr. B.W. Webb C. in C. Bdy. Gd.)

Benjamin William Webb was a member of the infamous Jameson Raid. He was captured during the action at Krugersdorp on Monday 1 January 1896. As recorded in the Pretoria Press on 4 January he was one of the first 21 Prisoners who were later handed over to the Landrost that evening.

He appeared before H.J. Coster, the State Attorney of the South African Republic on 4 January 1896 and stated the following: -

“I belong to the Chartered Co. Police.

At 3 o'clock 29 Dec. 1895, we were ordered to make ready, and just after that a letter was read to us by Dr. Jameson, received from Phillips and others from Johannesburg, asking us to come over to Johannesburg to help them in assisting them to keep order and prevent bloodshed. He told us distinctly that not a shot would be fired. We were not going to the Transvaal, Dr Jameson said, to interfere with the people, or the country or Government. So we left with a false understanding that there would be no fighting at all. Passing through Malmani I saw two telegraph poles broken and the wire laying on the field. The wire must have been cut before we arrived. The wire must have been cut because I did see the wire laying on the road. Stores about five were put up along the road. They must have been purposely built.” (Signed) B. W. Webb.”

The second recipient has a rather fine group which requires a far more detailed writeup than I have completed at present. The group was originally held in the collection of the well known collector Ricci De Menaud and I couldn’t resist putting in a substantial bid when the group was offered for sale.

The group comprises the following:

Seven – Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) (Mil)(Type 1); QSA 5 bars: Elands, DoL, Tvl, OFS, SA’01 (Lieut. H.G.L. Panchaud. Calcutta Lt. Hse.); Natal 1906 bar: 1906 (Capt. H.G.L. Panchaud, Transvaal Mtd. Rifles); 1914/18 Star (Mjr H.G.L. Panchaud 5th M. R.); BWM; AVM (Bil) (MiD) (Mjr. H.G.L. Panchaud.); Col. Aux. Fcs. Officer’s Decoration (GV) reverse engraved: (Lt. Col. H.G.L. Panchaud. 5th Mtd. Rfls. (I.L. Horse)

Harry George Louis Panchaud was also awarded the Colonial Auxiliary Forces Long Service medal but lacking the requisite long service was not permitted to wear both green ribbons together in in uniform.

His QSA medal engraved “Calcutta Lt. Horse” is unique to this unit. He is recorded as having been attached to both the Commander in Chief’s Body Guard and the 5th Dragoon Guards during the Boer War. A Chartered Accountant by profession he later served as Second in Command of the I.L.H. during the Rebellion in 1914. In November 1915 he was appointed to Command the I.L.H. and was awkwardly involved with the regiment when they lost over 20 men killed and wounded during the Rand Riots in 1922.

RobM
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.691 seconds