Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24493

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19

Brianc wrote: Phil

You are 100% correct ..POW's to GEA are scarce, the SAMCC were a combat unit and I have a few groups to them, do you know the circumstances regards his capture? Attaching some info for you, a sad day for the unit!

Well done a great re-unite.

I hope David will not mind me adding this WW1 info?

Brian

Hi Brian,

Thank you very much for the diary information from that date - much appreciated. Happily Harris did write letters home which were published, and I have his WW1 service file so I'm reasonably up to speed on how he was captured.

I'll drop you a PM to avoid all this WW1 talk! ;)

Thanks again

Phil

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24494

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 455
Three days to go but I think I'm safe to choose :ohmy: , these are "ordinary" QSAs on the surface:

1. Tpr TE Leifeldt Protectorate Regiment - pow 13-10-1899 the first British casualties of the war.
2. Revd CF Tobias Army Chaplain Dept - wounded Mooifontein 25-05-1901, the only Chaplain to be a casualty of enemy action. Eyewitness reports of his wounding - searching for wounded, converted from Jewish faith, son won an MC in WW1.
3. AB W Baker HMS Pearl - landed Port Nolloth in support of Relief of O'Okiep, small ship even smaller numbers landed. In WW1 served aboard HMS Tiger at Jutland.

and a Wepener clasp to the Royal Scots and a QSA to the IY wounded after the war ended.

but there is the QSA and other campaign groups which I regard as more obvious as "special" than those above:
Afghan -> QSA
Chin Hills - > QSA
QSA -> Tibet

Next year - complete the QSA & other campaigns (IGS '08 is most reasonable target) and dig out more like the first three above.

Happy Collecting in 2015.

Meurig
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24499

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2161
Those are rather special Meurig :)

I neglected to mention in my earlier post that one of my best finds was to Fr. VJ Hecht, OMI, CMG who was a Catholic Priest. I have his QSA with OFS clasp.

Regards

Rory

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24500

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Jon

I was very pleased to have Brian attend to the bidding for the Maritzburg Ambulance Corps QSA, and I was even more grateful when I discovered you were the under-bidder. I would have been in a quandary had I discovered that I was bidding against another forum member. It is a relief to know that that you made up for the one disappointment by making other excellent additions to your collection. The diary in particular is a treasure and great rarity.

I hope that we do manage to meet when you are in this vicinity to take part in the next Comrade's Marathon. Perhaps a special meeting of the local medal gang can be arranged with you as guest-of-honour.

This is way off topic, and I apologise for it, but your mention of the Comrade's Marathon reminded me that you might be interested in another medal group that surfaced this year. It is the WWI trio awarded to Arthur Newton. As you will no doubt know, he won five Comrade's Marathons in the 1920's and went on to have a remarkable record as a long-distance runner in Britain and the US as well.

Brett
Attachments:

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24505

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,

Thank you for your reply and thank you for posting a rather nice pic :)
I can understand why you wanted to complete the set, very nice indeed :woohoo:

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Sorry, I managed to miss your post, I don't use this forum or indeed any to display my collection, notwithstanding, I do have a rather extensive Anglo Boer War section to it, but, it is not my principal interest, although, as a small boy, it was something that I was very keen on indeed.
I had an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman, so as I am sure you will understand, in the interest of variety, I merely needed a Welshman to complete the union, but, very sadly, for me at least, Corporal George Haylock was an Englishman.
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello Frank,

A very nice collection of medals :woohoo:
Could I ask you to share the details and maybe a few pics please :)

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: I seldom buy anything these days but when I saw a pair that I missed some nine years ago at DNW enter the market place again, I reluctantly decided to put my hand in my pocket and bought them, to complete the "union" as far as Barton's fusilier one hundred of Colonel Mahon's flying column goes, I was missing a member of the 1st Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers!

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24511

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Morning Brett

Thanks for that, do you have Newtons medals?

Look forward to meeting some of you Natalians in May 2015.

Jon

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.599 seconds