Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24475

• NZMR
  • Thank you received: 19
Hi,

Every year I find it more and more difficult to find something here in New Zealand which tickles my fancy. A limited 'war chest' means being highly selective - but does teach me patience and self-control!

Best find for me this year is the QSA to 3495 Trooper Frederick Harris, 6th NZ Mounted Rifles. Purchased from DNW, this is a reunite with his SA Bi-lingual Victory Medal purchased from Ebay some years previously. Harris served with the SA Motor Cycle Corps in GEA, and had the misfortune to be captured by the Germans near Malangala on 18th February 1917. Having a medal to a PoW from the German East African campaign is very scarce, so I was more than happy to secure Harris's QSA to go with it. Just the BWM to go now! No problem...

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all on this great Forum and website.

Phil

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24476

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49

Rory wrote: Sorry Brian - just seen your latest post now - (we must have been typing at the same time :) ) - it's thanks to chums like you that I am able to unearth the odd gem and develop a story.

Have a great 2015 and I look forward to many more swaps - there is stil the odd POW group I have which would look good in your collection ;)

Regards

Rory

Thanks Rory

I will bring a crowbar on my next visit....that one NFA group needs to be levered out of the cabinet, it has very long nails :evil:

Brian

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24477

• Brianc

NZMR wrote: Hi,

Every year I find it more and more difficult to find something here in New Zealand which tickles my fancy. A limited 'war chest' means being highly selective - but does teach me patience and self-control!

Best find for me this year is the QSA to 3495 Trooper Frederick Harris, 6th NZ Mounted Rifles. Purchased from DNW, this is a reunite with his SA Bi-lingual Victory Medal purchased from Ebay some years previously. Harris served with the SA Motor Cycle Corps in GEA, and had the misfortune to be captured by the Germans near Malangala on 18th February 1917. Having a medal to a PoW from the German East African campaign is very scarce, so I was more than happy to secure Harris's QSA to go with it. Just the BWM to go now! No problem...

Cheers, and Happy New Year to all on this great Forum and website.

Phil

Phil

You are 100% correct ..POW's to GEA are scarce, the SAMCC were a combat unit and I have a few groups to them, do you know the circumstances regards his capture? Attaching some info for you, a sad day for the unit!

Well done a great re-unite.

I hope David will not mind me adding this WW1 info?

Brian

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: NZMR

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24479

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Adrian,
Ah all becomes clear now, so it is, in effect, often down to who you know! :)
Regards Frank

capepolice wrote: Frank,

There are still a few good items to be had. It does help if you network yourself a bit though. However, from an auction perspective City Coins continually put together very good catalogues which are eagerly awaited each year. Every now and again some good medals come up on a local Ebay type site as well.

I think however, that word of mouth is the best way these days.

Regards
Adrian

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24481

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Okay, so Edwardian then, so very much the golden age before the rot set in!

Brianc wrote:

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Brian,
When you say old, how old exactly?
Regards Frank

Brianc wrote: My best finds were a few nice old Colonial badges mainly Natal Carbineers and Umvoti Mounted Rifles.

Medal wise... no Victorian medals but a few beauties from later conflicts.

Brett, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for Pte Rowells write-up?

Regards
Brian

Frank

The badges were mostly around the 100 year old mark, covering the 1906 to WW1 era. I have for some years neglected my small collection of badges, after indulging is medal collecting. Always had a soft spot for badges as that was where the collecting bug for me began...many moons ago!

One just took it for granted that these would be plentiful for ever, but then one suddenly realises that they are not there anymore...hence the renewed interest, before they do disappear.

The price of medals has also esculated for us out here in Africa, with the Rand not worth the paper it is printed on. Hence swapping has allowed me to still gain new groups for the collection, and for my friends to enjoy some of the groups that I also cherised at one time (and still do). My view of collecting has changed over the last few years and collecting for the sake of "hoarding" is no longer my goal...I like a group or medal if it has a story, irrespective of the era. Stupidly, I had a goal at one time to try and collect a group/medal to every Artillery Regt in SA...silly me. I did get quite far and still have many of the rare CGHGSM singles or paired up with a QSA. Some of those little units had very low medal issues ie 12 or 16 to the unit.

Regards
Brian

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24484

• Brianc
Frank

100% correct.

Decided to try and complete a few of the Natal Regiments cap/slouth hat badge issues.

Helmet plates are always nice but very pricey and not really worn on later campaigns, so have largely kept away from them. Maybe if I win the Lotto (uummmmmmm dream on) I will indulge in some of them, that is when they show up.

Regards
Brian

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.608 seconds