Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24486

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brian,
Well they certainly are very nice things indeed, I've always liked the period in question, the only thing that springs to mind, that I would have done differently, would have been to have had the Transvaal Volunteers 1906 medals, named to their actual units, but other than that, I'm rather happy with it all.
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24488

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Afternoon all

Finding this new acquisition of the Wolfsonian Institute in Florida USA, was the highlight for me. It is the journal of William St John Carr, who was a NCO attached to the staff in Ladysmith. His QSA is named to Capt. & Paymaster I.L.H. and cleared up many gaps in his research file. His medals, along with those of his son are held by me. They have sent me a typewritten copy.

Medal wise I acquired the Anglo Boer War Medal to Commandant W. Mears. His father came to SA in 1840 from England. Walter Mears was an interesting character who was first imprisoned for treason for questioning the War, served with the Lydenburg Commando in Natal and subsequently joined Theron's Reconnaisance Corp, was instructed in a Letter from C.R. De Wet, Commander-in-Chief, Orange Free State, dated 30 August 1901, to take his commandos to the Cape Colony, as well as in a letter from C.R. De Wet, Commander-in-Chief, Orange Free State, dated 25 September 1900, appointing W. Mears as Commandant of the Corps to be called Mears Corps. There are various reports of him beating his troops and in some cases shooting them. It is interesting to note that he did not apply for the DTD, whether by design or fault is any ones guess.The authorities sending him only Vorm B and C to complete. He had quite a distinguished career.

I also acquired the COGH Medal with Bechuanaland Clasp, to Pvt E.F. Sheppy Diamond Fields Horse and have reunited it with his QSA named to Cattle Ranger E.F. Sheppy A.S.C. Research has shown that they in all probably belong together.

I missed out on Brett's wonderful QSA to the Maritzburg Ambulance Corps, being the under bidder. A preliminary bid was placed but due to a severe storm that disabled all my internet connections I was unable to contest it. Well done Brett a wonderful piece for your collection. Hoping to meet you and fellow collectors in June when I do my 4th Comrades, would like to see it in the flesh.

It has been a pleasure reading all the posts on this forum and I have discovered many new facts. Look forward to sharing in 2015.

Jon
Attachments:

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24489

• Frank Kelley
I suggest the 1853 South Africa medal is really quite relevant, for me at least, I suppose it can be said that South Africa was shaped as far as it's modern history goes as far back as the middle of the 17th Century, however, certainly by the beginning of the 19th Century with a new element, the British takeover in the Cape, the "Boer wars" were no longer confined to merely evicting the locals, as far as the Boer was concerned.
In fact, again, for me at least, these "wars" actually continue to 1914 with Maritz and Beyers and their wretched five shilling rebellion.
Whilst this is an "Anglo Boer War" forum, I do think people deserve to know why it happened in the first place.
Some time ago, I received a most interesting email from Brett, entitled "45th Cutting" and I have never looked back.

Rory wrote: I'm afraid I made a glutton of myself this past year... B)

Favourites among those that I acquired would be:

- QSA/KSA/WWI to E Vede, a MM winner
- QSA to Alphonso Stott, IY who was KIA at Tweefontein
- 1853 SAGS medal (I know it's not relevant to this Forum...) to a Captain Armstrong of the 45th Regt.

Oh and there's the QSA/KSA to Loch's Horse and the Midland Mounted Rifles (Gorman)

I also acquired some medal via swaps with Forum members which had great stories attached to them. Among my favourites have to be:

- QSA to Patrick Bradley, S.A.C. imprisoned for rape among other things
- QSA/1906/WWI to Percy Gascoyne, N.F.A. - the QSA with Elandslaagte clasp.

P.S. I love them all ;)

Regards

Rory

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24490

• Frank Kelley
Lord Hendey, yes, I do like that, I have to agree with Adrian and Brian, to be quite honest with you Brett, I just wish I had more time to talk to you, not only about medals and related material, but, life itself!

capepolice wrote:

Brianc wrote:

Brett Hendey wrote: Brian

Thanks to the vendor, Rory and Frank, I now have many papers on which to base a biography of Rowell. Brian T has promised to look for records on Rowell's career as a Scoutmaster, so, after I have had a response from him, I will start writing.

For the information of readers who do not already know the story, I should mention here that Brian alerted me to the Rowell lot that was up for auction on a local site. After establishing that I was interested, he bid successfully on my behalf, picked up the items from the vendor in Maritzburg while on his way back from a visit to Johannesburg, and then delivered them to my front door.

I am very fortunate indeed to have Brian, Rory, Frank and Brian T as friends. I felt grand arranging the acquisition of the Rowell relics from the comfort of my home, with only one visit to the bank to upset my daily routine. This may well be the way Lord Ashcroft adds to his collection, so, for the first time in my life, I feel as though I am a VIP.

Regards
Brett

Lord Hendey ;)

You make me out to be a saint...actually I just like helping my mates out generally. These days people are so self centered and lacking in values, it makes me sick. Thanks to my parents we were brought up with old school values in the same way you were.

I think we are lucky to have you as a friend and fellow collector, who is very knowledgeable and willing to share this knowledge to boot.

Regards and Best Wishes for 2015.

Brian

Brian, I quite agree with your sentiments about Brett and regards your previous post regarding " Hoarding" of medals, we all did it at some point but yes, all you end up with is a pile\bucket of dros that nobody wants :(

Off to visit my girl in the Berg now.

Cheers
Adrian

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24491

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
Sorry, I managed to miss your post, I don't use this forum or indeed any to display my collection, notwithstanding, I do have a rather extensive Anglo Boer War section to it, but, it is not my principal interest, although, as a small boy, it was something that I was very keen on indeed.
I had an Englishman, an Irishman and a Scotsman, so as I am sure you will understand, in the interest of variety, I merely needed a Welshman to complete the union, but, very sadly, for me at least, Corporal George Haylock was an Englishman.
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello Frank,

A very nice collection of medals :woohoo:
Could I ask you to share the details and maybe a few pics please :)

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: I seldom buy anything these days but when I saw a pair that I missed some nine years ago at DNW enter the market place again, I reluctantly decided to put my hand in my pocket and bought them, to complete the "union" as far as Barton's fusilier one hundred of Colonel Mahon's flying column goes, I was missing a member of the 1st Battalion Royal Welsh Fusiliers!

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24492

• Frank Kelley
There you go Paul, what I'd give for a Davies (from memory, there were two of them!) a Evans, a Hughes or a Jones! :(

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.590 seconds