Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24440

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Thanks Paul,

Yes, I am very chuffed. It was great fun researching the man especially all his pre and post WW1 service in the Coast Guard.

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24442

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Brian

Thanks to the vendor, Rory and Frank, I now have many papers on which to base a biography of Rowell. Brian T has promised to look for records on Rowell's career as a Scoutmaster, so, after I have had a response from him, I will start writing.

For the information of readers who do not already know the story, I should mention here that Brian alerted me to the Rowell lot that was up for auction on a local site. After establishing that I was interested, he bid successfully on my behalf, picked up the items from the vendor in Maritzburg while on his way back from a visit to Johannesburg, and then delivered them to my front door.

I am very fortunate indeed to have Brian, Rory, Frank and Brian T as friends. I felt grand arranging the acquisition of the Rowell relics from the comfort of my home, with only one visit to the bank to upset my daily routine. This may well be the way Lord Ashcroft adds to his collection, so, for the first time in my life, I feel as though I am a VIP.

Regards
Brett
The following user(s) said Thank You: Brianc

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24444

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brian,
When you say old, how old exactly?
Regards Frank

Brianc wrote: My best finds were a few nice old Colonial badges mainly Natal Carbineers and Umvoti Mounted Rifles.

Medal wise... no Victorian medals but a few beauties from later conflicts.

Brett, I have been keeping my eyes peeled for Pte Rowells write-up?

Regards
Brian

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24446

• Frank Kelley
Hello Adrian,
If the wretched China situation had not reared it's ugly head, yet again, at that particular moment in time, your man might well have earned a QSA, but, the fact is, the China War medal, is both rarer and more expensive, moreover, had this man served ashore in the Naval Brigade and earned the clasp, it would be a very expensive medal indeed, I think your group is super, I would certainly feel very happy with it.
Kind regards Frank

capepolice wrote: Thanks Paul,

Yes, I am very chuffed. It was great fun researching the man especially all his pre and post WW1 service in the Coast Guard.

Adrian

The following user(s) said Thank You: capepolice

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24455

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 433
Hello Frank,

Thank you for the kind words. I am very happy indeed with the group, the China 1900 is a medal that is very seldom seen around these parts and a fine addition to my collection. It really would have been superb if he like many other Navy lads had also been involved in the ABW and thus qualified for the QSA as well.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Annual Question...... What was your best find of the year????? 9 years 4 months ago #24459

• Frank Kelley
Hello Adrian,
So you wanted a QSA as well? :ohmy: never mind, still a good trio, mounted as worn by the recipient too, which is always nice to see, good old ribbon.
Regards again Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.540 seconds