Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boar War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8940

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
That is a very good point regarding the Driefontein clasp, I must admit it never occured to me before, but, I still feel that Meurig's caveat is valid, given the very high number of casualties in Broadwood's column, all the more if a collector is not bothered about which unit he wants, for a collector of SAMIF there would be Roberts Horse and if you wanted Royal Horse Artillery, you could always buy a man from "U" Battery, there is a full page of those.
However, I can understand why people want "Q" Battery, to unlimber in the open, in the style of Colonel Long, exposed to all those mauser's and stay there until you have expended almost all the ammunition, does require a certain amount of courage.

JustinLDavies wrote: Interesting thread. I must say I'd always used the 'Driefontein' clasp as a rule of thumb, given that it was for 10 March 1900 on the march with French. Not 100 percent I know.

And as Henk well knows Sannah's Post and Korn Spruit can show up in unusual guises in casualty rolls and official reports. Bloemfontein Waterworks being the outstanding example.

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boar War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8941

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Mike,
Then subject to you being able to see that the medal was issued like that i.e. you are happy with the naming etc, and, as I have the upmost respect for Dr Mitchell, it may well be just an error or perhaps a couple of errors by clerks at the War Office.
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Hi Frank......

Yes the regimental number is 13026.....

He also has a 10th Hussars, 2970 Private C. Thomas, 10th Hussars, who was taken prisoner and released at Sannah's Post.....

Interesting all the different speccings of the name.....

Mike

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Mike,
:ohmy: That is a very cavalier course to take, it is cheap for a reason, Meurig's caveat comes to the fore in my mind!

Having said that, is the number on the medal actually the same as that on the roll for Mcdonald? 13026, if it is, then you can see if the medal is correct i.e. as issued, by using your own numismatic knowledge.

That would just leave the matter of him being a casualty, in which case I would suspect that he might well have been, if Dr Mitchell had good reason to believe that he was, casualty returns are full of errors and omissions.
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Good Afternoon Gentlemen.....

After much thought I have decided to purchase it..... It is cheaper than any others that I have seen up for sale lately and the seller has stated and will confirm in writing that if it is a dud he will take it back.....

Will post pictures and information as I find it....

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.432 seconds