Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boer War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8856

• bricketts
  • bricketts's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 0
Another interesting item has come to my attention concerning Q Battery and Sannah's Post. While four VCs were awarded "in the field". it seems that the War Office was not pleased about this. They saw Sannah's post as a monumental cock-up. When three additional VCs were requested, the brass refused the request and did not present it to the Queen.

Their reply was:
"Taking into consideration the fact that the affair at Korn Spruit taken as a whole was not of a nature to reflect credit on our Army, The Commander in Chief is of the opinion that the four crosses given by you will be a sufficient recognition of services rendered and feels precluded from recommending to Her Majesty the three additional names proposed in your letter..."

Is there any way I can find out about the three additional VC requests?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boer War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8857

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
The original letter, from which you have quoted and the remainder of the exchanges between the War Office and a very annoyed, :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: :angry: Lord Roberts will be found, from memory, I think, in WO32 at the TNA Kew, well worth a read if you ever go there.
His lordship was really rather annoyed!
The following user(s) said Thank You: bricketts

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boar War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8862

• Henk Loots
  • Thank you received: 443
Hi

I would be extremely interested in knowing the additional 3 names put forward for award of Sannaspos VC's, especially as I had custody of the Glassock group in my collection from 1992 to 1998.

Henk

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boar War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8864

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
I know this is most likely not available but will give it a chance anyway.....

Does anyone have a list of the members of Q Battery who were at Sannah's Post i.e. the survivors anyway?????

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boar War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8876

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
As most of Q Battery were casualties on the day in question, the 31st of March 1900, a good place to start is the published casualty return for the period of the 21st March to the 31st July 1900, which also includes the rest of Broadwood's column, who became casualties that day, over five hundred men. :(
Kind regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: I know this is most likely not available but will give it a chance anyway.....

Does anyone have a list of the members of Q Battery who were at Sannah's Post i.e. the survivors anyway?????

Mike

The listing of Q Battery medals following the Boar War is confusing 11 years 1 month ago #8881

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Frank.....

Yes I have seen the casualty list but the thing is I am looking for the other members of Q Battery who survived the fight at Sannah's Post..... Just because he has the bar Relief of Kimberly does not specifically mean that he took part in the battle.....

The reason I am asking this is that I have been offered a 6 Bar QSA properly named to Q Battery and yet I cannot find him on either the casualty list as wounded or on the medal roll....

I cannot remember the Regimental Number but the name is Gunner J. McDonnell, "Q" Bty. R.H.A.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.479 seconds