Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16201

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
Make no mistake, the Manchester's were very good indeed, they did well in Natal, any collector interested in this campaign should have at least a couple in his collection!
Regards Frank.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16455

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
I am very happy today, I've just bagged medal number fifty for my Manchester's collection, can you ever have too many, no, I don't think so! :)
Regards again Frank

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
Make no mistake, the Manchester's were very good indeed, they did well in Natal, any collector interested in this campaign should have at least a couple in his collection!
Regards Frank.

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16456

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hi Frank,

Congratulations on your half century sir ;)
Details requested please :)

Paul :)

I am very happy today, I've just bagged medal number fifty for my Manchester's collection, can you ever have too many, no, I don't think so! :)
Regards again Frank

Regards Frank.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16461

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4530
That's a great achievement Frank. Many congratulations.
Dr David Biggins

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16484

• Frank Kelley
Hello Paul,
Don't get too excited, it is just another 1st Battalion Defence of Ladysmith, the recipient, a young lad from Wigan, had joined in 1893, like so many of his battalion, he was invalided back home after the awful seige!
But, I have always been fascinated by these men since I was a child, they were just so good, their defence of Manchester Fort and Caesars Camp was a Victorian epic.
I have to say that I am just as pleased with his medal, which was not at all expensive, as I would have been with the other forty nine men I have in my little 1st Battalion Anglo Boer War collection, some of which I ended up paying four figure sums for.
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hi Frank,

Regards again Frank

Regards Frank.

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16487

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Frank,
I always get excited about new medals :ohmy:
I must admit I do like DofL's, was it a local pick up or dealer sourced.
Well done again on your half century sir ;)

Don't get too excited, it is just another 1st Battalion Defence of Ladysmith, the recipient, a young lad from Wigan, had joined in 1893, like so many of his battalion, he was invalided back home after the awful seige!
But, I have always been fascinated by these men since I was a child, they were just so good, their defence of Manchester Fort and Caesars Camp was a Victorian epic.
I have to say that I am just as pleased with his medal, which was not at all expensive, as I would have been with the other forty nine men I have in my little 1st Battalion Anglo Boer War collection, some of which I ended up paying four figure sums for.
Kind regards Frank

coldstream wrote: Hi Frank,

Regards again Frank

Regards Frank.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.416 seconds