Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 3 months ago #17058

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
James,
The Ladysmith is in the town centre close to the Ladysmith shopping centre and the Ladysmith gallery etc, just a stones throw from these.
I am confident that if Lady Smith herself was around today, Juana Maria, that "spanish bride" would get her hubby to take her into the afore mentioned shopping centre to buy some new bling to replace all that she lost in the Peninsular!
Kind regards Frank

Wombat wrote: Where I came from Wrights Coal Tar Soap was for the "Upper" Working Class, we had to make do with good old Carbolic :( My wife was a nurse at the Oldham Royal & Boundry Park hospitals, (the old workhouse, but not at that time), and she told me they used to use coal tar soap for bathing the children with chickenpox and Measles to sooth the rash,(she knew Florence Nightingale well) :lol:

Just out of interest, where about is "The Ladysmith"? I don't recognise the road.

I remember driving passed the old Ladysmith Barrack's in Ashton, and all that was left was the main entrance gates. I remember some talk about putting a housing estate on the land.

Wombat,
James.

Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.724 seconds