Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16168

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
A new Regiment to add to the collection.

3509 Private James Sleigh attested for the Manchester Regiment on the 4th January 1892 at Ashton under Lyme.
He was 18 years and 3months of age and a native of Stockport in the county of Lancashire, his trade is listed as driver.
He had previously served with the 3rd Battalion Manchester's and discharged by purchase 13/6/1891
James, typical of the age was of slight build being 5ft 5" and weighing 126lbs he was declared fit for service by the Recruiting Officer.
Its seems Private Sleigh was not a "model" soldier, spending two terms in prison.
Firstly for civil power of theft, he received a sentence of 120 days, the second for striking a superior officer when sentenced to 181 days.
It seems James did not enjoy prison life, the rest of his service he stayed out of trouble.
His military history sheet shows a five year service in India from 1893 until 1898.
The majority of service was either home our reserve except of course for a short 139 days in South Africa, were for his service James received the QSA with clasps Relief of Ladysmith and Tugela Heights.
Medal rolls show he was attached to General Bullers column.

Private Sleigh was discharged on 1st April 1908

James answered the call of his country again on 11th January 1915 were he entered the theatre of war in France with the Cheshire Regiment.
Pte.Sleigh was sadly KIA on the 5th March 1915 he is listed on the panels at Ypres (Menin Gate)
His service in the Great War earned him Victory,BWM & 15 Star.

R.I.P.

Paul
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16178

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
When I originally collected medals, I did not knowingly buy spit groups or pairs, now this was often very hard, not like it is today.
Many years ago, I had met a well known Johannesburg medal collector, sadly no longer with us, who discussed with me this very matter, his thoughts on this have always stuck in my own mind, I was just a boy, still at school at the time.
He told me that if I was collecting the Anglo Boer War I should always buy a medal that is to a given bit or part of the campaign that is of a particular interest to me, what a man went on to do did not matter if it was not actually part of that campaign, in your case here, another war in another part of the world.
He also pointed out that if a man was killed, he would not have ever had the later medal or medals, as here, anyway, so a QSA might be the only medal the man in question ever had.
So whilst I have and still do avoid missing medals, I have always thought about this conversation, of course back then, things were very difficult, with the Anglo Boer War, British Army and this sort of thing, you had to look in WO372 in the hope of finding an exact match before you could even really think about looking at the actual rolls in WO329, moreover, back then WO363 and WO364 had not been made available, when they were, they were only released in sections, so it all rather depended on a mans given surname, you often ended up having to wait!
Notwithstanding, as I said to you before, I like all Manchester's and your medal is no exception, also, I think it is wise to pick out a certain area or campaign as you seem to be doing too, try and get an Elandslaagte to the 1st Battalion.
Kind regards Frank

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16184

• Wombat
  • Thank you received: 15
I always feel sad when I see a group of medals split; he is also missing his plaque as well as his trio. But at least he is not forgotten as his QSA is being appreciated.

Wombat,
James.

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16185

• Doug
  • Thank you received: 17
James

Always such a difficult decision to make. You sometimes know when you see a QSA single that there is another story to go with it and for each one like the one you have, there will be a complete group.

I have some of both and am not complaining, especially when I have just been asked if I want a Lancashire Fusiliers Sudan pair with a QSA usual bars to a KIA Spion Kop, you can't refuse it, even at Xmas!
Doug Jenkins

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16188

• coldstream
Hello Frank,

Thank your comments and advice as always.
Although I do try to avoid split groups, this one fell into my collecting theme and the Manchester's was a void I needed to fill.
Although I would much prefer an Elandslaagte, I am always on the look out ;)

Paul :)

Frank Kelley wrote: Hello Paul,
When I originally collected medals, I did not knowingly buy spit groups or pairs, now this was often very hard, not like it is today.
Many years ago, I had met a well known Johannesburg medal collector, sadly no longer with us, who discussed with me this very matter, his thoughts on this have always stuck in my own mind, I was just a boy, still at school at the time.
He told me that if I was collecting the Anglo Boer War I should always buy a medal that is to a given bit or part of the campaign that is of a particular interest to me, what a man went on to do did not matter if it was not actually part of that campaign, in your case here, another war in another part of the world.
He also pointed out that if a man was killed, he would not have ever had the later medal or medals, as here, anyway, so a QSA might be the only medal the man in question ever had.
So whilst I have and still do avoid missing medals, I have always thought about this conversation, of course back then, things were very difficult, with the Anglo Boer War, British Army and this sort of thing, you had to look in WO372 in the hope of finding an exact match before you could even really think about looking at the actual rolls in WO329, moreover, back then WO363 and WO364 had not been made available, when they were, they were only released in sections, so it all rather depended on a mans given surname, you often ended up having to wait!
Notwithstanding, as I said to you before, I like all Manchester's and your medal is no exception, also, I think it is wise to pick out a certain area or campaign as you seem to be doing too, try and get an Elandslaagte to the 1st Battalion.
Kind regards Frank

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Pte.James Sleigh Manchester Regiment 10 years 4 months ago #16189

• coldstream
Thanks James,

My sentiments also

Paul :)

Wombat wrote: I always feel sad when I see a group of medals split; he is also missing his plaque as well as his trio. But at least he is not forgotten as his QSA is being appreciated.

Wombat,
James.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.274 seconds