Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Bronze QSA's for black soldiers in Natal 10 years 10 months ago #12414

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315
I know of only one "West Country" reproduction. Reasonably easy to spot as a fake since the bronze recipe was wrong and had a more brassy look than others that I know are real. Various die and suspender differences as well make them easy to spot. I did not spot the one on eBay (I have other favorite Internet sites)
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Bronze QSA's for black soldiers in Natal 9 years 4 months ago #24177

• David Grant
  • Thank you received: 315

Brett Hendey wrote: David and Munroe

Thank you for your contributions to this topic. I am now convinced that bronze QSA's were issued in South Africa in fairly large numbers and, only in exceptional circumstances, do they come to light.

There are another dozen files in the PMB Archives that might, or definely do refer to the medals sent to Natal. Unfortunately, I will not be able to get copies of these files until the New Year.

One of the complications with the Archives' files is that, at this period, many files relate to the award of medals to native chiefs commemorating the Coronation of Edward VII. Apparently, these large silver medals have a low survival rate, whereas the smaller and more numerous ones given to school children are not uncommon.

If some, many or even most of the bronze QSA's were traded as pennies in, for example, rural Zululand, their survival rate would have been minimal. Nevertheless, they are worth searching for and, also in the New Year, perhaps a hunt can be arranged.

Regards
Brett

Bronze Medals - Return from South Africa

68/S.A./2719
C.O.O. South Africa, notifies return of 22699 from Cape Town, and 3941 from Pretoria - total 26640. Medals received but deficient of 4 from Cape Town. Returned to Mint 11-10-05, and clear receipt given 3-1-06

68/S.A./216
C.O.O.,South Africa, notifies return of 2000 ( received by him from the Natal Government) Received, but 3 deficient. Clear receipt given, and medals sent to Mint. 24-1-06

68/S.A./4482
G.O.C., South Africa, proposes to return all medals in store after 31-12-07., as after that date applications will be barred by lapse of time ( vide W.O.letter A.G./M/15471 dated 12-7-07
1019 from Pretoria - Recd, but one deficient
974 from Cape Town - Recd correct
A.G notified on 68/S.A./4482 2-5-08
2438 red to mint barring stock of 940
A.G notified on 68/S.A./4482 10-6-08

So of the 2000 medals issued to Natal none it seems were issued to recipients
And the 10,000 that I estimated were sent to South Africa was out by a factor of 3 ( 4 if you include 10,000 that went on to India)

Source - India Office Library W0 162/97
Looking for Salutries, Salootries and Veterinary Duffadars.
I collect primarily QSAs to Indian Recipients.

Bronze QSA's for black soldiers in Natal 9 years 4 months ago #24178

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 717
David

Many thanks for this excellent addition to the record of the sad saga of bronze QSA's intended for issue in South Africa.

Since my last post on this subject, I have gone back to my records from time to time, and I will now do so again.

Regards
Brett

Bronze QSA's for black soldiers in Natal 2 years 8 months ago #77981

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
I've read through this facinating thread several times trying to do the maths but am not quite figuring it out.

If there were 100,000 medals ordered for South Africa (and proof has been shown of that)
But then they were redirected to India (there is proof of that)
Except for 10,000 for South Africa. Or is it 10,000 total now?
But then were did the ones for South Africa including the 2000 for Natal come from? Has anyone seen a Royal Mint order for those?
And how did 26,000 get returned if only 10,000 were manufactured?

Cheers
Ryan

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.403 seconds