Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 year 3 months ago #87965

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Steve

Nothing jumping out ref your mans action. However, I suspect that the importance of the lines of communication and the Mounted Infantry role of patrolling those areas may have contributed to his wounding.
Hanover Road-Naauwpoort-Rosmead line of railway. The area occupied by the Boers round Rensburg was, like that of the British, bisected by the railway. I believe that there was a hospital somewhere near Hanover and the Grenadier Guards were stationed there for a period of time.

February, 1901 ref:- ( Worcestershire Regimental Museum)
1st - 4th. The force marched to the relief, but were too late to effect it.
5th - 8th. The force halted at Roodipert Nek, where A., B. and D. Coys. joined.
9th - 28th. The force was continuously on trek; sniping by the enemy was of almost daily occurrence.

Also, and I'm not 100% sure on this. I remember reading that there was a Hanover Road Field Force at some point in the conflict? I think the Australian Mounted Infantry (Victorian Mounted Rifles) were active in February 1901in the Hanover area.. Perhaps the Worcestershire MI were patroling with them?

Dave....
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 year 3 months ago #87978

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 763
Ian,
Thanks for the link, the Hanover Road area may have been an important stretch of the railway to protect at that time.
It certainly helps me to gain context of the presence of Mounted Infantry.

Dave,
I shall explore the possibility of the Hanover Road Field Force further.
The fluid nature of the movements of these mounted infantry units does make it difficult to join the dots!

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 year 3 months ago #88006

• Moranthorse1
4153 CORPORAL THOMAS HENRY LANE: WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT MOUNTED INFANTRY.
ALIAS 4153 PRIVATE THOMAS HENRY SMITH: 2ND BATTALION WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT.

Here we have a typical case of a young man enlisting under an alias, using surname of a close relative. I shall tell his story beginning with his original attestation and details thereon through till when his subterfuge was rumbled and then his life beyond.

"Thomas Henry Smith" attested to the Worcestershire Regiment on the 6th of September 1894 at Worcester.
He declared that he was born in 1876 in St. Clements, Worcester, Worcestershire in 1876 making him 18 years and 10 months old. At that time he was working as a Porter and had previous military experience with the 4th Battalion Worcestershire Regiment Militia.
He was of average height for the period at 5' 4 3/4", weighed 124 lbs, and boasted a chest expansion range of 32" to 34 1/2". He was of a dark complexion with brown eyes, and brown hair. Distinguishing marks were to be found on his left abdomen in the nature of scars from being burnt.
His religious denomination was Church of England.

His attestation papers show that his twelve years of service were as follows:

Home: 06/09/1894 to 13/11/1895.
Malta: 14/11/1895 to 02/10/1898.
Bermuda: 03/10/1898 to 06/12/1899.
Home: 07/12/1899 to 05/01/1900.
South Africa: 06/01/1900 to 22/09/1902.
Home: 23/09/1902 to 05/09/1906.

Thomas gained his third grade Certificate of Education during his service with the Worcesters.
Interestingly, his next of kin was his aunt Caroline Smith who resided at 63 Tybridge Street, Worcester.

Moving along to the seat of war, Thomas became a member of the Mounted Infantry element of the Worcestershire Regiment. He was obviously keen to get involved with a mounted unit to get closer to the action in this horseman's war. Besides, it would be better than all of that footslogging over the veldt with the PBI (Poor Bloody Infantry)!

Whilst serving with the M.I. Thomas was wounded at Doornkraal on the 6th of November 1900. The action at this location is better known in the history of the Anglo Boer War as the Battle of Bothaville, where the protagonists would trade a ferocious duel of musketry for many hours, which some authors describe as being as vicious a fight as any seen during the conflict.

At some point, possibly following his wounding at Bothaville and prior to his return to England, he was compelled to confess to his true identity!

A signed declaration is accessible to the modern day researcher which I am pleased to reproduce here:
"I, Thomas Henry Lane do solemnly and sincerely declare that I was enlisted on the 6th September 1894 under the name of Thomas Smith which name I now declare to be incorrect. The name of Thomas Henry Lane, contained in the accompanying certificate of birth, I now declare to be my true name, and I make the solemn declaration conscientiously believing the name to be true, and by the virtue of the provisions of an act made and passed in the sixth year of King William the Fourth, calp;62, entitled"The Statutory Declaration Act, 1835"
Thomas Henry Lane
Declared before me at Heilbron ORC
this 11th day of July 1902
JHS Gibb
Major
Commanding 2 BN. Worcs. Regiment "

So due to unknown family rifts or politics, we can say that Thomas attested using his aunt's surname.
His birth certificate, also accessible, shoes that Thomas was born on 1st November 1876 at Copenhagen Street, Worcester and that his parents were Amos Lane, a shoe rivetter, and Emma Lane (nee Davey).
Following this lead, the family were living at Short Street, Shoreditch in London, Thomas having sister's Florence and Livvy.
It would be more usual to have this chapter of his life nearer to the beginning of his story, but I have written it in the order in which I have uncovered!

Under alias, for his service with the Worcestershire Regiment Mounted Infantry 4153 Private Thomas Smith was awarded the Queen's South Africa medal with clasps: RELIEF OF KIMBERLEY/PAARDEBERG/JOHANNESBURG/DIAMOND HILL/WITTEBERGEN (WO100/380).
A very scarce combination of clasps to the Worcesters.

Named to 4153 Private Thomas Henry Lane, his King's South Africa medal with clasps South Africa 1901 & 1902 below.

Please note the naming error of initials 'F.H." instead of"T.H." Nothing unusual there from the transcriptions of the day!

Following his discharge after twelve years with the Colours, Thomas had relocated to the south of England in Surrey. The 1911 Census found him working as a General Labourer living at number 6 Birch Cottages, Horsell, Surrey along with
his wife Alice Minnie, sons Henry Thomas (7), Norman Murray (4), and daughter Norah Minnie. Wife and family all born in Horsell.

Despite being a family man, Thomas Henry Lane was not done with soldiering just yet!
With Europe teetering on the abyss of a catastrophic war, he attested to the Queen's Royal West Surrey Regiment at Guildford on 24th August 1914 and given the regimental number 141 and the rank of Sergeant.
Along with his comrades of the 3rd Battalion Queen's, he was sent to France on 1st June 1915, and is next reported as being admitted to No. 3 Casualty Clearing Station on 19th of June 1915 suffering from arthritis.
Sadly, he died at home surrounded by his loving family on 15th September 1916 at the age of 39.
His gravestone is of the CWGC registered type and there is a marble flower basket placed in front of it inscribed " In memory of Norah Minnie Warren".

The Medal Index Card for 141 Sergeant Thomas Henry Lane confirms his entitlement to the 1914/15 Star/ British War Medal and the Victory Medal.

A short but very eventful life was lived by this not so old soldier. At least he died at home surrounded by those who lived him rather than on the South African veldt or the mud of France.

I will end this fascinating story with this thought; as you will see from the previous images, I recently acquired Thomas's KSA at auction.
I do not know of the whereabouts of either his QSA or WW1 trio. The QSA is certainly a very desirable clasp combination to the regiment. I feel sure that I have seen the QSA at auction a fair few years ago , so a reunite may be possible.
If anyone on the forum could please PM me with any information with a view to a reunite I should be extremely grateful. I would even consider passing on the KSA to another collector in order to make the reunite a reality!

Thomas Henry Lane, Worcesters and Queen's remembered.......
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Smethwick

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 year 3 months ago #88011

• Ians1900
  • Thank you received: 194
Very interesting read indeed. Thank you for posting.

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 year 3 months ago #88033

• Moranthorse1
6765 PRIVATE CHARLES LEWIS: 1ST VOLUNTEER SERVICE COMPANY WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

PART ONE

QSA with Worcester Jewel. QSA ribbon added by myself for a nice presentation.

Slight damage to the blue enamelling in bottom right hand quarter. Suspension ring still present.

"PRESENTED BY
THE
CITIZENS OF WORCESTER
TO PTE.C.LEWIS
IN RECOGNITION OF HIS
SERVICE WITH THE
WORCESTER VOLUNTEERS
IN THE SOUTH AFRICAN WAR
1899 1900 1901"

Before I begin to inform the forum of the life and military service of Charles Lewis, I feel compelled to tell you that the research and newspaper columns detailed here are the results of work of the collector who owned the pair before me. I am reluctant to name the gentleman, as that would probably contravene some data protection law! However, if he should read this post, I offer my gratitude for all the fruits of your meticulous study. My hope is that I can do justice to it all on this forum.

Charles Lewis was born circa 1878 in Malvern, Worcestershire, England.
The national census of 1881, has Charles as a 3 year old living at Pickersleigh Cottage, 2 Pickersleigh Road, Great Malvern, Worcestershire. His father was Thomas a 40 year old Tailor Journeyman who originally came from Llowes, Radnorshire, Wales. Charles' mother Mary A. was 36 and born in Malvern. Siblings were Thomas H.(13), Ellen (11), Jane (8), Edith A.(6) and Bertram (2). All the children of the family were born in Malvern.

1891 finds the family now residing at Beauchamp Cottages still on Pickersleigh Road. Ethel M. (2) was now added to the Lewis brood. Charley was now working as an Errand boy.

At the age of 22 years and 6 months Charles attested to the Volunteer Service Company of the Worcestershire Regiment on the 10th of January 1900 at Worcester being given the regimental number 6765. He gave his occupation as that of Tailor ( like father like son!), and declared his previous military service with 'C' Company, Malvern of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion Worcestershire Regiment.
His attestation papers reveal that he was slightly shorter than the average of the period at 5' 2 1/2". No weight was recorded by the examiner.
Charles was of dark complexion, had hazel eyes and light brown hair with no distinguishing marks. His religious denomination was Church of England.
His father Thomas, still at Pickersleigh Road was given as next of kin along with his brother Thomas.

His service record as follows:
Home: 10th January 1900 to 22nd February 1900 (44 days)
South Africa: 23rd February 1900 to 9th June 1901 (1 year 107 days)
Home: 10th June 1901 to 12th June 1901 (3 days)
Total: 1 year 154 days.

Discharged 12th June 1901, services no longer required.

The draft of volunteers that Charles was part of were gathered prior to their leaving for South Africa as described in the "Malvern Advertiser," dated Saturday, January 20th 1900:
" The members of the 2nd Volunteer Battalion of the Worcestershire Regiment who have been accepted for service in South Africa arrived at Worcester late on Thursday night (11th inst.) and are billeted there. Upon arrival were inspected by Colonel de Berniere (commanding the 29th Regimental District) and Colonel Lord Deerhurst addressed a few words of encouragement and congratulations, wishing them God-speed. Lieutenant Pardoe of Malvern is in command of the many candidates.
46 only have satisfied the regulations they are 2 Sgts., 42 Privates, 1 Bugler, and 1Stretcher Bearer.
Worcester supplies 4, Evesham 12, Droitwich 2, Pershire 8, Malvern 4, Upton-on-Severn 2, Bromsgrove 9 and Redditch 6. These are sworn in for a year. On Monday the men went to Wadborough for target practice.
Private C. Lewis (Malvern has been the recipient of two further presents- A silver mounted pipe given by Mr. Foxwell Senior and a shaving brush by Mr. Fear.
On Thursday morning at Aldershot, General Montgomery More inspected the Active Service Company of the Worcester Volunteers (Malvern Representatives Lieutenant Pardoe, L. Cpl. Houghton, Privates C. Hall, F. McPherson and C. Lewis.
The men were dressed in khaki were commanded by Captain Bucknell. General More addressed them, the Company were to leave Southampton today (Friday) embarking on the Avondale Castle for the Cape."

PART TWO TO FOLLOW.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 year 3 months ago #88045

• Moranthorse1
6765 PRIVATE CHARLES LEWIS: 1ST VOLUNTEER SERVICE COMPANY WORCESTERSHIRE REGIMENT

PART TWO

Charles Lewis and the men of the 1st VSC joined with the 2nd Battalion of the Worcesters at Bloemfontein and participated in operations, convoy duty and the manning of blockhouses along the railway lines in Cape Colony, Transvaal and the Orange Free State.
On the 7th October 1900 they received orders to depart for England, but were detained en route at Brandfort for a further four months before being allowed to proceed to their transport ships, which must have pleased Tommy Atkins no end!
Of the draft of the 1st contingent of the VSC the casualty list comprised of 7 men died of disease and 1 man wounded out of a total of 176 men who served.
These men were distributed as follows:
115 men in the 1st Contingent
21 men as draft to the 1st Contingent
40 men in the 2nd Contingent.

Thanks for the 1st VSCs service in South Africa were received in the written orders from the Commanding Officer of the 2nd Worcesters and the General of Command for the Brigade.
They arrived back at Southampton in June 1901.

LETTERS FROM THE FRONT

It would appear that Charles Lewis was a prolific writer, with a good level of literacy. He would have had time on his hands if on blockhouse duty with not much else to occupy his mind. Here we have a series of letters home published in the local press at Malvern as referenced:

From The Malvern Advertiser, dated Saturday May 5th, 1900:
"We are permitted to publish extracts from letters written to Malvern relatives and a friend from South Africa, by Private C. Lewis (son of Mr. T. Lewis, Pickersleigh Cottage):- Bloemfontein, April 20th 1900.
"Dear----Since I wrote last we have had another move farther up country. We were to go to Bloemfontein the day after I wrote to you, and were to cross over the Orange River and then go by train. We were over the other side by ten o'clock, but did not go from there until eleven at night, it was a bit off I can tell you, we had nothing to do but it was the hanging about. We had a proper camp fire at night, we got four railway sleepers they put the metals on , and that made a proper fire. We had to go up there in open trucks, and of all of the roughest rides that I ever had this was the worst. It was a bit lively I can tell you. I couldn't go to sleep much, so as soon as it was light I crawled from under the sheet and had a look around the country. We got into Bloemfontein about eight, and had breakfast, and after that we went into camp. We had to go through the town so I can tell you what it is like. Well to begin with, it is not so large as Malvern, there is only one street in it and that not a very large one, but there is about four or five very nice houses in the place, where President Steyn lived that is a fine house. Roberts is stopping there and Kitchener and the Staff at the other places. When we arrived in camp we were attached to a Welsh Regiment because our battalion had not come in yet. They are a nice set of chaps, but they look a bit rough, having been on the march so much and seeing so much fighting. We had church parade on Sunday morning and that was all we did that day, but on Monday morning we were to go on a route march, and were going to move off when a despatch rider brought the news that the Boers were a few miles out, and then we had to fall out and have an extra fifty rounds of ammunition, , and then the brigade moved off, but there was no engagement as they had retreated, and so we returned to camp. We were to have gone away from here with the Welsh, but as our regiment is coming in today we are going to wait for them, and then I expect we shall stop here for a few weeks guarding the town, perhaps until the war is over. I see you had a fine time of it over in Malvern, by the papers over Ladysmith."

The following sentences are from a letter from Cape Town, written on March 28th:-
"Wednesday we had a nice job on. We were up at half past four in the morning and fell in at five to go down to the docks to fetch some of Cronje's men. the prisoners about sixteen hudred of them, and of all the lowdown, filthy looking lot that I ever saw they were theworst. I couldn't help feeling a bit sorry for them , some of them were between fifty and sixty, and there were some mere lads of fourteen. We had to have two journeys, and the second one I had to go with the ones that were sick in the ambulance waggon, some of them were very bad, and the blacks that were driving took us over the roughest ground they could find, and if we asked them to drive over smooth ground, on account of the chaps that were ill, all they done was to grin and almost upset the waggon, for I can tell you that they do hate them. We had to take them to the hospital by our camp, and we hadn't left that job until four in the afternoon, so you can tell we had a rather late breakfast. We asked them what they thought about the war, and they said that they were very glad that it was over, for they were sick of it, and should never have fought if they hadn't been forced. When I got into our camp they told me they told me we were going to move up the country, so we started early the next morning, that was Thursday, and then we did a six hundred mile ride in the train.
I don't think I ever enjoyed a ride for scenery so much as I did that one; for hundreds of miles it was nothing but hills and valleys and the train going round corners that were so sharp that you could see the end of your own carriage , it was a fair treat I can tell you. We were to have stopped at Naauwport on Saturday, but our Captain has had a wire to tell us to go onto Norval's Pont and that is where we are stopping. It is on the edge of the Orange River, and a very nice place it is, for we can bathe there every day, but is is a very dangerous river to go very far out. About the last hundred miles we came the Boers had blown up every bridge there was on the railway, but the engineers had been busy and had put them up before we came up, so we had it alright riding, but we heard from one of the officers that at one place we didn't know any minute but what our train might be wrecked, but they didn't come anywhere near the line, for our troops were guarding the line at every bridge, so that they didn't get a chance to get on to the line. We saw the places where the fighting had been going on at Colesberg, Rensburg and Norval's Pont. If you had seen the places you would have thought that it would have been impossible to take them, for they are all steep hills with trenches thrown up, and barbed wire in front of that so you can't wonder at losing so many men. We are on a nice job now, the Freestaters blew up the bridge that crosses the Orange River. It is a large one that is about five hundred yards long. They blew up the middle of that and of course the trains can't go to Bloemfontein, so we have got to help make a new line across the river until there is peace, then they will build the other one. You should have seen us, pick and shovel, getting out rocks and sand, working like Britons, and then last night they got up at twelve to get the trucks over from this side to the other- they were provisions for the troops at the front."

From The Malvern Advertiser, dated May 19th, 1900:
"We are permitted to publish another letter from Private C. Lewis(son of Mr. T. Lewis, Pickersleigh Cottage):-
VS Company, 2 Worc. Regt.,
Field Force, South Africa.
Bloemfontein
April 20th.
"Dear Mother and Father, Brothers and Sisters,--I expect this will be the last letter you will get from me for a bit, as we are going on the march with Roberts to Johannesburg and Pretoria in a few days. There are three divisions, and we are on the left one. I expect it will take a few weeks,a s we shall have to go something like three thousand mile or more. We have all had our feet inspected, and the Colonel inspected the whole battalion and asked them if they all felt fit. There are eight of our chaps in hospital with dysntery. Lieutenant Pardoe is down with fever, and we have heard that he is to be sent home. It is a bad job, for allthe fellows like him and are sorry he isn't with us now. We have had plenty of rain here these last few days. By now the weather is picking up, we shall have it fine for the marching. I have got another pair of boots with screws in, Kitchener's patent. We have had several things given to us lately that have been sent (tobacco, writing paper, and other sorts of things) and we have had another suit of khaki distributed out to us, because they are warmer than the other ones, for the nights here are very cold. Our Company were out on outpost duty Moanday, and at night the rain came down a bit quick, so we got a fair soaking; but it soon dries on us when the sun comes out. We couldn't do any parades one day for the rain. The place was like a mudpit, and now today the place is as dry as a chip. Ours is the 6th Division and 12th Brigade, and we are having a fine time of it today, for we are having the Sports. There will be some of the generals present, and a few thousand men besides. Dear M., I spent a very different Easter to what I should in Malvern. We had to go on wood fatigue on Sunday. Rode out for four miles in a mule cart. Had breakfast at 6:30, and dinner at 3:0. And then on the Monday it was raining, so we didn't go out at all. We had the tent washed out on the Sunday; it is a fair treat. Ask Bert to remember a young fellow the name of Pearce to a Walter Williams from Lawdays, and to tell them that he will write to them soon, and to remember me to those at the Hydro, and other chaps that I know. I don't think it will be long before this war is finished, when we make a general move. I see in the papers they are asking for peace, but I don't think they will get it. Remember me to Tom and Alice, Annie and Ted, and all at Pickersleigh. And now I must wish you all goodbye , hoping you are all quite well, as it leaves me at present.
With love from your affectionate Son,
CHARLEY
P.S. Tell NellI am sorry I haven't written, but we never know a minute but what we might be called out ."
PART 3 TO FOLLOW.....
The following user(s) said Thank You: Ians1900, Neville_C

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.514 seconds