Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 years 10 months ago #76525

• Georgegt351
  • Thank you received: 31
About 12 months ago I bought the QSA to Lieutenant H.R.Elliot, bars CC, T, and Witerbergen. It is an medal engraved in the Officers style which is a particular favourite of mine as I admire craftsmanship which these engravers were. Later I found I had only bought part of a group, which annoyed me but over 120 years have passed since its award. He was also entitled to a KSA. He was attached to the Colonial Office and posted to the South Nigeria Regt where he was awarded the Africa General Service Medal with clasps S.Nigeria 1903 andS.Nigeria 1906 under the command of LT.Col. H.Trenchart of later RFC fame. He was killed in action as B Company Commander on the 12th of October 1914 and is buried in Browns Road Military Cemetery, Festubert. Hugh Russell Eliott was the son of Maj.GenWilliam Russell Eliott. So I am missing quite a lot of desireble items but that is life-I guess I am conigned to scouring lists hoping one day more will surface-I dont know what I would do if the AGS turned up as the Medals Yearbook only gives valuations to natives as these bars are so rare. I did go through the roll for the S.Nigeria 1905 clasp and there are only 85 to the entire S.Nigeria Regt.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 years 10 months ago #76775

• Margaretsheridan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 4
I have only just spotted this, so just a short message. There is family in alveley area still related to Mr Link. After returning from boer war he returned to village life. He is buried in the village churchyard.
I have details if anyone would like them. For those wondering who I am, my name is Margaret and I am an historian for the village of alveley. Please get in touch
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 years 10 months ago #76778

• Margaretsheridan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit

Margaretsheridan wrote: I have only just spotted this, so just a short message. There is family in alveley area still related to Mr Link. After returning from boer war he returned to village life. He is buried in the village churchyard.
I have details if anyone would like them. For those wondering who I am, my name is Margaret and I am an historian for the village of alveley. Please get in touch

have double checked my notes ..LINK HERBERT, of No 3 Alveley died at Bridgnorth Infirmary February 28th 1914 aged 41. (occupation-stone quarryman). Buried at Alveley March 4th 1914. Cause of Death -Pneumonia and Pericarditis.

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 years 10 months ago #76781

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 754
Hello Margaret,
I am so pleased to see your response to my post regarding Herbert Link. Many thanks for the extra info.
I searched the cemetery in Alveley systematically but unfortunately did not find Herbert's final resting place to pay my respects.
As you know many graves are missing their headstones for identification.
Wonderful to know that he did definitely finish his life at home after an adventurous life.
Yes, please email me in privacy if a contact can be made with his ancestors or yourself that would be amazing!
Cheers Steve

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 years 10 months ago #76782

• Margaretsheridan
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Yes, I know many of the descendants. I came from alveley myself. I’m sure they would be fascinated to see his medals.
My friend and I run the Facebook group “alveley history bridgnorth shropshire” you will find us there. I was very impressed with biography on Herbert link,if you live quite close to Kidderminster /bridgnorth perhaps you would consider visiting alveley historical society and giving them a chat on Herbert link, many of them know that he went abroad. On his return, the village rejoiced and presented him with a mantle clock..the clock fell into disrepair many years ago, but the brass plate that was on it celebrating his return is still with us. Please feel free to private message me or contact me through the alveley Facebook group.

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 years 10 months ago #76807

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 754
Hi Margaret,
I will PM you to discuss arrangements. I would be honoured and delighted in equal measure to take this further. I am sure that there is a great deal more to add to Herbert's life history.
And amazing to know that there is still the relic brass panel of the presentation clock in existence. I very much look forward to seeing it.
All the best,
Steve

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.430 seconds