TOPIC:

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 2 weeks 2 days ago #78948

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 2538

Picture courtesy of Spink

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Transvaal, Wittebergen (4295 Corpl: F. Calfe. Worcester: Regt.)
[ KSA (2) ]

Frederick Thomas Calfe was born at Peckham in 1876 and was a paper hanger upon joining the Worcestershire Regiment on 16 March 1895. During the Boer War he was wounded at Slingersfontein, 12 February 1900.

Calfe died at sea aboard the Staffordshire on 6 February 1903, en route to Liverpool, due to a spine fracture and suffocation.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Worcester Regiment 1 week 3 days ago #79117

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 121
Having won the QSA to 4295 Corporal F. Calfe and awaiting delivery from Spink, I would like to ask the forum members if anyone knows of the existence of the KSA with the two date clasps named to Calfe with a view to a potential reunite?

Back to Corporal Calfe himself, he recovered from his wound sustained at Slingersfontein as detailed in the SAFF Casualty List. One wonders what nasty incident occurred for him to suffer a fractured spine and suffocation which is listed as the cause of his death on board the ship Staffordshire as it sailed to Liverpool in 1903. Maybe a fall or a crushing injury?
As he died after the war has officially ended he is not listed in Watt (2000). If he was it would most likely state where he was interred or buried at sea.
Could anyone on the forum please suggest where I could have a chance of finding out whether he has a final resting place on land or if he was actually buried at sea?
Many thanks.
Cheers Steve

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.424 seconds