Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Can anyone help decipher some handwriting? 1 year 7 months ago #85796

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 180
Volksrust
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Smethwick

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Can anyone help decipher some handwriting? 1 year 7 months ago #85797

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4517
I agree with Crypt.

For a history of the 18th Hussars, Burnett's book may be helpful archive.org/details/thhussarsinsout00burngoog
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Can anyone help decipher some handwriting? 1 year 7 months ago #85799

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Definitely Volksrust

His 28 days punishment in the Field Prison was for disobeying a lawful command of a superior officer ( on this occasion a Sergeant)

His medal rolls are recorded under G Payne 4244. QSA - Belfast, Cape Colony and Orange Free State. W0 100 /115 Signed 31st May 1902 Flakfontein.

KSA - W0 100/303 , Pretoria 22nd March 1903.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Can anyone help decipher some handwriting? 1 year 7 months ago #85801

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 820
Thanks to All

David - afraid I had a senior moment with the details of 212 Smethwickians swirling round in this ancient brain - Percy served in the 8th rather than the 18th Hussars (now corrected) - but thanks for the link to an interesting on-line book. I have now discovered a very similar book for the 8th Hussars - "8th (King's Royal Irish) Hussars Diary of the South African War 1900-1902." by Morton, J. W. Have just ordered a paperback copy from Amazon for £14.50 (available from other sources, one of whom wants silly money, but my Prime membership makes Amazon just the cheapest source for me with no p&p to pay).

Dave F - the QSA Medal Roll appears to have a bonus piece of info - the Squadron he served in - again it took this ancient brain far too long to realise the significance of the A, B, C & D. Where did you find the list of miscreants?

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Can anyone help decipher some handwriting? 1 year 7 months ago #85802

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
List of miscreants?
Ancestry, UK, Naval, and Military Court Martial Registers, 1806 -1930

With reference to Percy and his connection to the 8th (Kings Royal Irish)
Perhaps when he enlisted at Birmingham he believed he was joining the Corps of Hussars. It's possible he may have been designated to the 8th after his enlistment? He spent 552 days with the 8th in the United Kingdom before shipping out to South Africa. Hussar regiments did serve in Ireland before the Boer War, I believe the 10th and 13th were present and serving in Ireland. I would imagine in some cases recruits had no choice. If there were spaces to be filled in Hussar regiments of the line that's where they were posted. Either way, he certainly served his time in S A with over 3 years service. As to his conduct and his age, perhaps after 3 years serving in the field, his insubordination may have been justified? The 8th Hussars had a few tough encounters.

The 8th Hussars were in the 4th Cavalry Brigade. They took part in the Relief for Wepener, Zand River and the two day battle of Diamond Hill on 11th-12th June. They also took part in the Battle of Belfast in August.

October was a bad month for the 8th as A Squadron was overwhelmed by a stronger force of Boers. They lost Lieut Wylam and 4 NCOs killed, 2 officers wounded and the rest taken prisoner. The remainder of the regiment were on arduous outpost duty night after night in very bad weather, suffering from cold and lack of food.

Cold and hunger were to be constant problems for the 8th through to spring 1901. The regiment was split into detachments posted to various columns, involved in independent actions.
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

Can anyone help decipher some handwriting? 1 year 7 months ago #85805

• rob carman
  • Thank you received: 38
Volkrust. Already sorted. I was late to the party

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.545 seconds