Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 4 months ago #61085

• GWebb
  • GWebb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi, I'm trying to trace my great granddad but can't seem to find anything.

He was born in Greenacres, Liverpool, his DOB could be best described as 'creative', he was born in 1874 according to the 1911 census, 1877 according to his marriage certificate or 6th April 1872 according to the 1939 register.
Maybe he was canny with his age given that he had a young bride Ellen Grace b1884 Woolton, Liverpool..
He seems to have lived most of his life in Liverpool
He was definitely in the Boer war in 1901/02, we have his Kings South Africa Medal (apparently he had about 18 service medals but they were split up).
I suspect he may not have served after 1903 (when he got married). No clue if he served in WWI.
His father may have been Humphrey.

Any help at at all would be really appreciated!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 4 months ago #61087

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
GWebb,

He is listed on the QSA medal roll WO100/189p for the 1st SLR with clasps Relief of Ladysmith, Tugela Heights and Transvaal. His KSA with 2 clasps is listed on WO100/333p305. A note on the KSA roll says 'Discharged England' and the roll is dated May 1903.

A quick search for service papers suggests none survived.
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: GWebb

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 4 months ago #61089

• GWebb
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi David,
Many thanks! Can I ask you were you found this info so I can hunt around some more. I'm paid up with Ancestry but happy to try again elsewhere.
Cheers!
Geoff

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 4 months ago #61090

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Eighteen service medals, that would be truly remarkable if they were all for service in the British Army, interestingly, WO100 only confirms entitlement for the two already mentioned.

GWebb wrote: Hi, I'm trying to trace my great granddad but can't seem to find anything.

He was born in Greenacres, Liverpool, his DOB could be best described as 'creative', he was born in 1874 according to the 1911 census, 1877 according to his marriage certificate or 6th April 1872 according to the 1939 register.
Maybe he was canny with his age given that he had a young bride Ellen Grace b1884 Woolton, Liverpool..
He seems to have lived most of his life in Liverpool
He was definitely in the Boer war in 1901/02, we have his Kings South Africa Medal (apparently he had about 18 service medals but they were split up).
I suspect he may not have served after 1903 (when he got married). No clue if he served in WWI.
His father may have been Humphrey.

Any help at at all would be really appreciated!

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 4 months ago #61092

• GWebb
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank, mmm interesting, I guess he may have won medals elsewhere? Perhaps he served in WWI? Although he seemed to have only been a labourer after serving in S.Africa.
When he died his medals were divided amongst his 15 children (allegedly), and my granddad only got the one (he was promised them all as he was the only son who polished them all!)
Curious. Where else could I go looking for medals?

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 4 months ago #61093

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Could they possibly be Temperance or Sports medals ?????

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.397 seconds