Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 5 months ago #61095

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Mike,
I think they would have to be along those lines, any subsequent Great War pre war reenlistment, volunteer or conscription service adds two or three more medals, any home service in WW2 adds one or two more, but, that is certainly not eighteen!
Regards Frank

QSAMIKE wrote: Could they possibly be Temperance or Sports medals ?????

Mike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 5 months ago #61101

• GWebb
  • GWebb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Thanks for your thoughts.
Think I'll have to stretch my field of search to see if I can find anything else.
It seems that if he did win 'only' 2 service medals then my granddad was not badly done inheriting one.
My dad always felt a bit bad for him that my he had been short changed but it seems that he did ok!

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 5 months ago #61114

• GWebb
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
New development.
I'd forgotten that sometime in the past the ribbons on some of the medals must have got mixed up as the ribbon on the KSA medal is actually for the South African Victory medal in WWI. This is big news for us as we never knew that he had definitely served in WWI!
So when he was called up would have had kept the same service number? And would have been likely to have gone back into the same regiment?
Thanks for your advice.

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 5 months ago #61126

• Frank Kelley
If you know that your great grandfather received the AVM with the South African reverse, then very clearly he would be most unlikely to have served in the British Army during the Great War.
However, if you do not actually have the medal itself, I do not understand how you could know which medal it was?

quote="GWebb" post=61114]New development.
I'd forgotten that sometime in the past the ribbons on some of the medals must have got mixed up as the ribbon on the KSA medal is actually for the South African Victory medal in WWI. This is big news for us as we never knew that he had definitely served in WWI!
So when he was called up would have had kept the same service number? And would have been likely to have gone back into the same regiment?
Thanks for your advice.[/quote]

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 5 months ago #61144

• GWebb
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank, the ribbon on the KSA was actually from another medal in the same collection. All we did was look up the name of the medal that should have been attached to that ribbon (it's distinctive).
Best

Private William Henry Webb 3079 South Lancashire Regiment 5 years 5 months ago #61147

• Frank Kelley
The ribbon for the Great War Allied Victory Medal is identical for both the British and South African reverses, so if you do not have the medal, I do not understand how you know it was a South African example issued by the Union Government?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.484 seconds