Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Replacement QSA's 10 years 11 months ago #11127

• Stephen Bayley
  • Stephen Bayley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32
In the process of evualuating a QSA I discovered it was a replacement medal. The good chap claims to have lost the original in a fire and requested another issue in 1907. The good folk at the office have presumably obliged. My first reaction was I lost interest immediately even though there was little chance the original would turn up.

The odd part was the relevant clasps (TVL, CC & Rhod)presumably issued with the replacement medal were not attached together or onto the QSA. Yet the 1901 issued in 1907 and CC have been joined but not with the medal. This seems odd, does anyone know if replacement medals would have had the clasps correctly attached?

Unlikely to proceed as it does not seem right. Do others share a similar viewpoint?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Replacement QSA's 10 years 11 months ago #11129

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Stephen,
Who are we talking about here, his number, name and unit?
With his original medal, I would expect the first three clasps to have the correct rivets from the mint and the SA01 clasp to have "a rivet" but, with a replacement, I would expect to see a medal complete from the mint with all four clasps and rivets.
Where a medal, already issued, has clasps issued from any supplementary roll, these were normally riveted together at the mint and then sent out.
Regards Frank
The following user(s) said Thank You: Stephen Bayley

Replacement QSA's 10 years 11 months ago #11138

• Stephen Bayley
  • Stephen Bayley's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32

This is the clasp arrangement that is odd. The engraving is an addition however the correct impressed detail follows. Yes another rough rider!!

1286 Houghton NZMR 4th Cont

Cheers Stephen
Attachments:

Replacement QSA's 10 years 11 months ago #11153

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Stephen,
The naming is rather odd don't you think?
What information do you have for this man?
Regards Frank

Replacement QSA's 10 years 11 months ago #11156

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1881
Good Morning Gentlemen.....

The funny thing is I used to have a replacement QSA that was:

1) Named in WW1 style (letters)

2) Suspender was a WW1 non-swiveling, same as on a WW1 medal.

3) I had copies of all the letters that went back and forth requesting the replacement as the original medal is at the bottom of the sea.

4) The replacement was not issued until 1921.

I traded this one off a number of years ago to a collector of the regiment.

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

SA 10 years 11 months ago #11170

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1540
Interested members
Many years ago - a part of my first collection - was a QSA bars CC/OFS/01/02 impressed to "2009 Tpr. J.Simmonds, S.A.Light Horse" and marked "(replacement)" after the name and unit. The suspension was not affixed as with the QSA - claw and pin - but rather in the manner of the later GSMs. In those days, info was not readily available as to why a duplicate might have been issued. I noted that I thought it may have been issued in the 40's. The item itself was priced very low by the dealer; about a quarter that of a similar QSA to similar unit.
It does seem that the office which authorised the issue of another medal used the term "duplicate" as well as "replacement". I have an IGS/QSA pair to a Sgt. in the Derbys and his IGS is marked "replacement" after the unit. It would be interesting to know when the practice of using "replacement/duplicate" came into use.
I suppose that the issue of a replacement/duplicate might detract somewhat from the nominal value of a medal. Personally I see the replacement medal as representing the esteem a soldier had for his original and personal mark-of-service.
IL.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.548 seconds