Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Medals to the Cape Police 2 years 4 days ago #82329

Cheers thanks very much

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the Cape Police 2 years 3 days ago #82344

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
220 Cpl J.H Bawtree CP Dist 2

Today I bought a single KSA to the above chap. I would not normally buy a split group but as this is probably the closest I will ever get to having a Defence of Mafeking man in my collection I thought what the heck !!!

Bawtree is missing a CGHGS medal with the Bechuanaland clasp and a QSA with the Defence of Mafeking, Orange Free State and Transvaal clasps.

Bawtree was born in 1874 and died 1910.

Regards

Added a copy of the original CGHGS medal Roll for the CP Dist 2 showing Bawtree's missing entitlement

Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb

Medals to the Cape Police 2 years 2 days ago #82346

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
That is nice purchase.

I have only ever seen his KSA.

Here is his entry from the Mafeking book:

Born in Colchester, England, 2 July 1874, the son of Octavius T Bawtree. Resided at Colchester c 1881. Enlisted in the CP D2 in Kimberley (220 Third Class Constable), 24 April 1896. Served in the Bechuanaland Rebellion 1896-7 (CGHGSM (1) Bechuanaland). Second Class Constable 1 November 1897. Recoded as being drunk at Mafeking, 21 February 1899 and neglecting his duty, also at Mafeking, 25 November 1899. First Class Constable 6 December 1900. Corporal 6 January 1901. Absent from stables in Kimberley, 21 April 1902. Detached to Marshall's Horse 27 July to 20 September 1902. Sub-Inspector, 1 October 1902. Transferred to CP D3, 1 October 1903. Reverted to Sergeant on the reduction of the force, 1 July 1908. Resigned 3 November 1908. KSA issued 18 December 1908. He died in Kimberley, 4 December 1910, aged 35. He was described as a Railway Constable. He married Beatrice Elizabeth Cookson in Fort Beaufort, 12 May 1904. A man called J Bawtree listed on the roll for French's Scouts (WO100/247p125) for 9 days of service, discharged 9 February 1900 to return to the Cape Police but this must be a different man
Dr David Biggins
The following user(s) said Thank You: capepolice

Medals to the Cape Police 2 years 2 days ago #82353

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Thank you David,

After having spent a few hours looking through various CP registers and the like for further info on John I have managed to unearth much of what you have in his biography.

I think the man mentioned in your last sentence is actually a James Bawtree and as you say not the same man. I would be very interested to know what became of his missing medals as they are were issued, perhaps they are in a dusty old box somewhere and will resurface at some point in the future.

Regards Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Medals to the Cape Police 2 years 2 days ago #82355

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Adrian,

His KSA has survived so his other two medals are probably out there somewhere. Perhaps they will appear one day soon and you can add a re-unite post.
Dr David Biggins

Medals to the Cape Police 1 year 11 months ago #82484

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Liverpool Medals have for sale the KSA (2) to Lance Corporal T. Botha, Cape Police District 1.
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.713 seconds