Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 2 months ago #17417

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
This topic has been brought up on other forums re ebay and copies..... The policy of ebay is that it is not their responsibility to confirm the accuracy of postings and the items.....

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19244

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
The ebay item id given is invalid, no result has been sentHow about this mixture of copy and original clasps on offer at eBay?

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19245

• pjac49
  • Thank you received: 32
Hi

Can somebody please summarise the key features that distinguish copy clasps from originals, perhaps using the clasps in the last post as illustrations? Looking back at the previous posts these seem to include thickness of the metal, lack of definition and uneven alignment.

Thanks

Patrick

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19246

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Patrick

That is a good suggestion. I will overlay images of correct clasps to make the differences easier to see.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19247

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
That would be capital David!

I must confess to not having bothered very much with the authenticity of clasps over the years. This probably because I source most of my medals from family directly - it appears that mainly collectors and/or dealers affix copy clasps in the absence of the real thing but I could be wrong.

Now that I am finding the odd item on auction sites I ought to be more aware of this phenomenon. A question I do have though is; does it affect the value at all if copy clasps are intermingles with originals?

Regards

Rory

QSA - Copy clasps 9 years 11 months ago #19249

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Rory,

Coming straight from the families lessens the chance that the medals have been interfered with which is good.

My belief is that copy clasps to which the recipient was entitled do make a material difference to the value of the medal because of the cost and work to rectify the medal to its original (or intended) condition. The cost of some clasps can make this re-work considerable.

Not everyone wants to return the medal to this condition and are happy to possess a medal in the same condition that the original owner wore or maintained it. So I guess its down to personal preference what to do about the situation but I would expect the price to reflect the problem.

Best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.491 seconds