Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14311

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Mike
Goes without saying.
IL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14312

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
That is true but I have had a number of people attempt to sell me medals with copy bars and swear that they are OK.....

Personally I will remove the bars that I have added when I pass the medal on......

Mike

LinneyI wrote: Mike
Goes without saying.
IL

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14313

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Mike
Yes....... probably the best approach would be to take them off when they are passed on. However, there occasionally is seen a QSA with one or more bars bearing their title in "bunched" letters (a couple of examples in earlier posts) and clearly not official. I once had one to a chap in TMI and he or someone, clearly felt he was entitled to the "Cape Colony" bar because it had been added to the top of his stack and riveted in place. The CC wording was in very bunched letters. I didn't worry about it at the time and would not now.
An interesting thread.
Regards
IL.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14314

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
This is not a problem I have ever had as I stick to original clasps and in this country, original examples can usually be found, but, it does not get any easier with passage of time, in fact, I now buy original clasps that interest me and squirrel then away for the future, just incase they are needed, I always find the South Africa 1901 to be the example most needed.
Kind regards Frank

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14316

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49
Guys

I have been following this topic and decided to ask the question...If a chap was due a number of clasps and they are missing possibly removed over the years by other dealers or collectors then "Why is it incorrect to rectify this with copy clasps if originals are not available"? (Of course so long as they are good and possible period possible jeweller copies)

Personally as long as it is described up as such when moving it on, then I personally feel there is no intended deception involved especially if his records comply with clasp entitlement.

I have corrected a few medals (in my case with original clasps)over the years and in my heart feel that I have done justice to the man who earned the medal.

A few years back before the advent of online archives it appears that many a dealer "added clasps" to enharnce a medal or group of medals. Back in the 1970's my dad bought a few of these and in the last few years I have pulled the records to discover the truth. :angry: He had paid too much! Worse still these medals came from some reputable British dealers!!!

Regards
Brian

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14334

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brian,
I think it is each to their own on this, I would not remove an original clasp if worn by the recipient and I would never add a copy clasp, not just because I can always source original examples here, so there is no need for me to do that, but because, either way, I would be taking an antique and be altering it's state of originality.
You have hit the nail on the head too, as so often these days medals are passed on with copy clasps with the intention to deceive, quite criminal really as are certain British "reputable" dealers, not good!
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.690 seconds