Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14349

• Brianc
  • Thank you received: 49

Frank Kelley wrote: , I would be taking an antique and be altering it's state of originality.

Frank

Again how sure are we that this antique had not been altered before coming into your posession?

Why I personally have no objection to correcting the clasp entitlement, is to correct it in a manner to "make it right/correct" as per the roll sheets fortunately available to us these days.

Collectors of all antiques repair/restore them to some extent unless they are in a perfect condition.

That is how I feel and do not object to others who as yourself do not change them.

I'm sure there are very few collectors worldwide who if they discovered a Def Of Mafeking medal disc in a second hand shop, would not attempt to reclasp it?

Regards
Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14353

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good morning Brian,
LOL, I was talking about medals, not Georgian furniture, quite simply because you are adding a set of new, none original rivets and if using copies, none original clasps too, therefore the said medal is no longer all original.
As I said, it really is each to there own on this matter, collectors will have differing views, being here, I don't have any real problems, all medals, to all units are available, original clasps and ribbon are available and the choice of what to actually buy is amazing.
I received my first QSA as a seven year old and had my initial lessons on the subject of original medals and clasps from both John Haywood and Brian Simpkin, so I am very confident of being able to know if a medal has been altered after it was originally issued, or not, as the case may be, with those that I buy!
I agree with you, I too would add a Defence of Mafeking clasp to any QSA that I found, having first made sure the recipient was so entitled, but, the said clasp would be original, so much easier with Town Guard recipients as it could just be placed over the ribbon without the need for brand new, unofficial, none original rivets, moreover, the ribbon would be contempory silk too, none of that polyester rubbish!
Regards Frank

Brianc wrote:

Frank Kelley wrote: , I would be taking an antique and be altering it's state of originality.

Frank

Again how sure are we that this antique had not been altered before coming into your posession?

Why I personally have no objection to correcting the clasp entitlement, is to correct it in a manner to "make it right/correct" as per the roll sheets fortunately available to us these days.

Collectors of all antiques repair/restore them to some extent unless they are in a perfect condition.

That is how I feel and do not object to others who as yourself do not change them.

I'm sure there are very few collectors worldwide who if they discovered a Def Of Mafeking medal disc in a second hand shop, would not attempt to reclasp it?

Regards
Brian

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14363

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Everybody
So it all comes down to opinions. And if anybody knows where there are rolls of original silk ribbons, then they can let me know. In the meantime, items in my little collection with replacement synthetic ribbons will just have to look nice.
Regards
IL.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14364

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873
Well if anyone has rolls of the original silk ribbon they and I would keep it a very closely guarded secret...... :lol:

Mike :whistle:

LinneyI wrote: Everybody
So it all comes down to opinions. And if anybody knows where there are rolls of original silk ribbons, then they can let me know. In the meantime, items in my little collection with replacement synthetic ribbons will just have to look nice.
Regards
IL.

Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 6 months ago #14365

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
You might be surprised just how close it is Mike!

QSAMIKE wrote: Well if anyone has rolls of the original silk ribbon they and I would keep it a very closely guarded secret...... :lol:

Mike :whistle:

LinneyI wrote: Everybody
Regards
IL.

QSA - Copy clasps 10 years 5 months ago #14595

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1873

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=231069181240&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.835 seconds