TOPIC:

Re: The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6953

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4557
Justin,

A good suggestion. Both much warranted and long overdue. I have made that change this morning.

With thanks
David
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The 'best' South African group? 10 years 9 months ago #13131

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
These are the campaign medals to Lt Col CAC Tremeer [DSO] which sold at the auction house Cheffins, Cambridge, in Sep 2012:

The description says:

A South Africa group of four medals to Charles A C Tremeer, including: The South Africa Medal with 1877-78 clasp (to Private C Tremeer E A M Police), Cape of Good Hope General Service Medal with Transkei Clasp, (to Lieutenant C A C Tremeer King Williamstown Volunteer Artillery), The Queen`s South Africa Medal with cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal clasps (to Major C.A.C Tremeer, South African Mounted Irregular Forces) and The King`s South Africa Medal (to Major C.A.C Tremeer D.S.O, South African Mounted Irregular Forces)

Major later Colonel Tremeer was awarded DSO in 1902 (see THE LONDON GAZETTE OCTOBER 31, 1902) although this medal is not with the present group. He died in Braamfontein in 1918.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: The 'best' South African group? 10 years 9 months ago #13135

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
While his DSO biography does not mention it, Tremeer was a Jameson Raider

Major TREMEER, CHARLES ARTHUR CLAUDE, Major, was born in London 25 November 1856, son of Thomas Brockwell Tremeer, of Cornwall, and of Julie Chevret Tremeer. He was educated at Belgrave House School, London. He joined the Cape Frontier Mounted Police in June 1875; served in the Native Rebellion, in the Transkei, and in the Gaika and Galeka wars. In 1880 he was in command of the King William's Town Artillery in Umtata, and for his brilliant defence of that town was presented with a Sword of Honour. Lieutenant Colonel Tremeer served in the South African War, from 1899-1902, with the Mounted Irregular Forces; was Field Staff Officer on the Staff of Lord Roberts, and also of Lord Kitchener. He was mentioned in Despatches [London Gazette, 29 July 1902]; awarded the Queen's and King's Medals with two clasps, and was created a Companion of the Distinguished Service Order [London Gazette, 31 October 1902]: "Charles Arthur Claude Tremeer, Major, South African Mounted Forces. In recognition of services during the operations in South Africa". During the European War Lieutenant Colonel Tremeer served as DAQMG in the German South-West African Campaign, and was mentioned in Despatches. In 1886 he retired as Major from the King William's Town Artillery, and founded the firm of Tremeer & Cummings in 1887—the first firm in Johannesburg, and was the first President of the Johannesburg Chamber of Commerce. From 1892-1915 he was on the staff of the Farrar-Anglo-French group. He was also the Imperial Trade correspondent to HM Board of Trade till the time of his death. On 2 November 1918, Lieutenant Colonel Tremeer was knocked down by a motor-car in Johannesburg, and died a few hours later.

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

The 'best' South African group? 10 years 9 months ago #13144

• rdarby
  • Thank you received: 119
Tremeer was part of the Reform Committee, so on the inside, not an actual raider. To me that is even better. I have the group, it was my birthday present to myself, and it had grown a DSO by the time I got it.

The 'best' South African group? 10 years 9 months ago #13147

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Ryan,

Part of the Reform Committee rather than a Raider. That was my mistake.

I did see a picture of him in the Sphere but the quality was really poor. Do you have a picture of him?

An absolutely superb group and definitely a candidate for the title of the post.

With best wishes
David
Dr David Biggins

The 'best' South African group? 10 years 9 months ago #13178

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 740
Ryan

You are indeed very fortunate to be the owner of this group. It is definitely a contender for the 'best' title.

As a matter of interest, do you re-ribbon medals and, if so, are we going to see on this forum a photo of the enlarged group with its new ribbons?

Regards
Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.552 seconds