TOPIC:

The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6820

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4541
I was pondering a question today and wonder what fellow forum members think is the answer? The question is 'What is the best South African group?' By South African, I am thinking of groups containing purely medals for South Africa eg SAGS, BSACM, CGHGSM, QSA, KSA, Natal 1906, Cape/Natal LS&GC and any other locally awarded medals/awards. Service during the First Boer War would be a definite advantage.

This reminded me of the group to Major Alfred Prendergast of the Natal Police. He was born in 1855 in Thurles, Ireland and served as Lieutenant in Lonsdale’s Horse during the Zulu War. He then enlisted in the Natal Mounted Police, 10.8.1879, and served with them during the First Boer War, 1881. Advanced to Sergeant, 1883, Sub-Inspector 1894, Inspector 1897, he was promoted to Major and JP for the Magistrate Division of Pietermaritzburg. He died at Eighth Avenue, Durban in 1930.

This the group to Pte W Ladyson:

Regards
David
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6826

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This group sold in 2005 for £26k. It was awarded to Colonel H Harry Lugg, Natal Militia, who, having departed Devon to seek his fortune in South Africa, enlisted as a Trooper in the Natal Mounted Police and fought with distinction in the defence of Rorke's Drift on 22 January 1879. The group consists of SAGS (1) (Tr. H. Lugg, Natal Md. Police), QSA (4) TH RoL Tr LN (Major H. Lugg, Vol. Staff), KSA (2) (Lt. Colonel H. Lugg, Natal V.S.), Natal 1906 (1) 1906 (Lt. Col. H. Lugg, Natal Militia Staff).

Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6829

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
David,

That's a hugely subjective question! Has anyone ever seen a 'full house' combination that includes the BSA Coy Medal, e.g.

1. SAGS 77-9
2. CGHSM 80-97
3. BSAC 90-97
4. QSA/KSA
5. Natal 1906

Justin

Re: The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6830

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
Justin,

My answer to your question is no, but I would like too!

Fully appreciate that 'best' is subjective but I am very interested to see what suggestions are made.

Kind regards
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6831

• djb
  • Away
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
This group contains a north African interloper but I thought I would post it as it is currently on sale at Stanley Gibbons for anyone with £5.5k to spare.

The group consists of Coronation 1902, SAGS (1) 1879 (Capt., 71st Foot A.D.C.), Egypt Medal (1) Tel-El-Kebir (Capt., 13th Hussars), QSA (2) CC OFS (Major, 4/Imp. Yeo.), Khedive’s Star 1882.

Ernest Lucas Braithwaite was appointed Ensign in the 71st Highland Light Infantry on 23 September 1871, becoming Lieutenant on 28 October the same year. He was appointed an ADC to Sir Garnet Wolseley and accompanied him during the Zulu War in 1879 until he arrived at Pretoria, one of only two awards for this campaign to the regiment unique with the “1879” clasp. He was shortly afterwards invalided home, having been promoted to Captain on 1 April 1879. In 1881 he transferred to the 13th Hussars, and in the following year served in the Egyptian War on special service, and was present at the battle of Tel-el-Kebir. He was promoted to Major on 1 July 1888.

During the Boer War he served with the Imperial Yeomanry, on the 4th Battalion Staff.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Re: The 'best' South African group? 11 years 5 months ago #6838

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
David,

How about the QSA and Natal 1906 pair to Leader M.K. Gandhi, Natal Volunteer Indian Ambulance Corps?

I heard many years ago that they were in a museum somewhere in India.

Best,

Justin

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.258 seconds