Medals to the ASC 8 months 1 week ago #91646

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

[ QSA (0) ];
KSA (0) (Hd. Condr. J. P. Stark. A.S.C.)

QSA with clasps CC, OFS, Tr, TH, RoL crossed through on WO100/216p202a. KSA verified on WO100/350p382.

John Powning Stark was born in Onehunga, Auckland, New Zealand on 16 March 1868. He moved to Johannesburg, South Africa around 1896, eventually settling nearby in Springs. After serving as a civilian Head Conductor with the Army Service Corps during the Boer War, he became a businessman and landowner, and soon got involved in local politics, later serving as Mayor of Springs from 1914 to 1915. He died in 1950.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to the ASC 5 months 2 weeks ago #92817

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Moranthorse1

Medals to the ASC 5 months 11 hours ago #93033

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 772
9394 DRIVER A.E.TARGETT: ARMY SERVICE CORPS ATTACHED TO 38TH BATTERY ROYAL FIELD ARTILLERY.

Driver A. E. Targett served with the Army Service Corps during the Anglo Boer War, and was attached to the 38th Battery Royal Field Artillery.
It was while on duty with the RFA that he was severely wounded at Kalkfontein on 16th September 1901.
His status as a casualty was reported in the "Daily News" on the 21st September 1901.
Also severely wounded on that day at Kalkfontein were 82421 Gunner A. Hodges also of 38th Battery RFA. 1839 Private C. Deverey of the 3rd Leinster Regiment was killed in action and 1237 Private M. Soctor of the same unit was dangerously wounded.
Perhaps as a result of being treated in a field hospital in unsanitary conditions, Targett unfortunately died of disease at Kimberley on 18th December 1901.

The Queen's South Africa medal awarded posthumously to Driver Targett bearing clasps Cape Colony, Orange Free State and Transvaal. Entitlement confirmed on WO100/212.

Impressed naming to the rim of his QSA.

His remains are interred at Kimberley West End Cemetery where he is commemorated on Monument 2.
He is further commemorated on the Army Service Corps memorial tablets at Saints Michael and George, Aldershot, Hampshire, England.

As a fatal casualty of the conflict, I can find no attestation papers etc for this man.

I cannot help but note the irony of his surname and the fact that he was severely wounded in action, which ultimately most likely led to his death.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Sturgy

Medals to the ASC 5 months 5 hours ago #93035

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Moranthorse1,

Great medal to brave soldier; the good news is that I located his attestation papers. The pages are too big to load so I've sniped some relevant information; I'll have another crack later at loading the complete file:

Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the ASC 5 months 4 hours ago #93036

• Sturgy
  • Thank you received: 274
Hi Moranthorse1,

Looks like today's your lucky day; this could be a photo of the man you are looking for:

This was the text that went with the photo:
"Photo of Albert looks superimposed from an earlier photograph prior to his death."

I haven't verified the medal roll but a picture of a KSA has been posted (not sure about the 1902 clasp):

If you are on Ancenstry.com you maybe able to get somemore infoamtion as some pictures are labelled "private" and cannot be accessed without contacting the tree owner.

Good luck and well done.

Regards,
Sturgy
Speak my name so that I may live again
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Moranthorse1

Medals to the ASC 4 months 4 weeks ago #93037

• Moranthorse1
  • Thank you received: 772
Great work Sturgy!!

This has been my lucky day indeed to have a possible image of this soldier aswell.After my own preliminary searches for his attestation document failed to show anything, I assumed that his records had been destroyed with his death on duty.
I am still having difficulty in raising anything for him with FMP and Ancestry, so if you could please add what you have to his story that would be a great help.

I wonder if anyone on the forum knows anything about a skirmish/ambush/ event at Kalkfontein on September 16th 1901? Possibly one of those desperate hit and runs by the Boers and not recorded?

His commemoration on the ASC memorial at Aldershot, Hampshire which was his birth county is appropriate. His family were most likely present at it's unveiling ceremony.

Cheers again Steve
The following user(s) said Thank You: Sturgy

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.500 seconds