TOPIC:

Medals to Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry 1 year 5 months ago #86518

• djb
  • djb's Avatar Topic Author
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4519
From the City Coins auction, 4 November 2022

QSA (4) Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Laing’s Nek, Belfast (3475 Sjt: G. H. Hamilton. Thorneycroft’s M.I.);
1915-15 Star (Lt G Hamilton 8th Infantry);
BWM and AVM (bilingual) (Lt G Hamilton);
SA for War Services Medal 1939-1945 unnamed as issued.

Geoffrey Hamilton Captain 2nd Transvaal Scotts 14 October 1914 to 31 January 1915 (SWA). Lieut, S.A. Pay Service, 9th S.A.I. East Africa. 2nd Lieutenant C.A.H.T. Corps.

Sold with copied Rolls and very detailed comprehensive set of WWI and post war Service Documents ending 1935 when placed on Retired List having reached the age limit.
Dr David Biggins

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Medals to Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry 1 year 5 months ago #86721

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
From the City Coins auction, 4 November 2022

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Relief of Ladysmith, South Africa 1901 (2094 Cpl W. H. Cutler. Thorneycroft’s M. I.)

Cpl Walter Herbert Cutler served Thorneycroft’s M. I. from 20 October 1899 to 31 March 1901.
Sold with copied Rolls of Thorneycroft’s M. I. and Queenstown Rifle Volunteers.

QSA (4) – Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Cape Colony, South Africa 1901 (last two riveted together but loose on ribbon),
(716 Corpl: B. B. Goodwin. Th’croft’s M. I.)
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry 1 year 2 months ago #88324

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

DCM EdVII (Pte. J. Mackenchine, Thorneycroft’s M.I.);
QSA (5) Tugela Heights, Orange Free State, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing’s Nek (2554 Serjt: J. B. McKechnie. Thorneycroft’s M.I.) surname lightly rubbed on the first, suspension bar ends slightly distorted on the second

DCM recommendation submitted to the King, 3 August 1901; LG, 27 September 1901; Army Order 15 of 1902 (given throughout as Mackenchine); MID LG 16 April 1901, p.2612 (Mackechnie). John Brown McKechnie/Mackechnie attested for Thorneycroft’s Mounted Infantry at Pietermaritzburg on 27 October 1899, declaring previous service with the Cape Yeomanry (time expired).

He was discharged with the rank of Sergeant, at his own request, at Standerton on 9 November 1900.
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry 1 year 1 month ago #88977

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
We have not seen Private Parry's medal since 2020 when its authenticity was debated, there being confusion between two men of this name.

No mention of this in the write-up.

QSA (3) Cape Colony, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal (8962 Pte J.Parry Th'Croft's M.I.) Impressed.

Described as:

8962 Pte John Parry, confirmed on roll of Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry. Served from 28Dec1899 until KIA at Spion Kop 24Jan1900. Entitled to RL clasp only

The thread begins here: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...antry?start=24#70319
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Medals to Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry 1 year 1 month ago #88978

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
The single QSA to Corporal R R Macgregor, TMI and Steinaecker's Horse is on offer again at the next Noble Numismatics sale.

Details here: www.angloboerwar.com/forum/5-medals-and-...antry?start=30#77204
Dr David Biggins

Medals to Thorneycroft's Mounted Infantry 10 months 5 days ago #90343

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator

Picture courtesy of Noonan's

QSA (5) Cape Colony, Tugela Heights, Relief of Ladysmith, Transvaal, Laing’s Nek (43337 Serjt: A. Lakin. Thorneycroft’s M.I.);
British War and Bilingual Victory Medals (Dvr. A. Lakin. S.ASC)

Alexander Lakin attested initially for Brabant’s Horse and served with them during the early stages of the Boer War before being discharged, time expired, on 9 February 1900. He subsequently attested for Thorneycroft’s Mounted Infantry on 21 February 1900 and saw further service with them, before being discharged at his own request on 9 November 1900.

He saw further service during the Great War with both the 4th South African Horse from 17 March 1916 to 14 April 1917, and then with the Motor Transport Section of the South African Service Corps
Dr David Biggins
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.603 seconds