Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Your thoughts please 11 years 2 months ago #8075

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214

Rendering Error in layout Message/Item: fopen(http://open.api.ebay.com/shopping?callname=GetSingleItem&appid=DavidBig-ABW-PRD-5bff6a2ad-934180e3&siteid=3&responseencoding=JSON&ItemID=130845135016&version=889&trackingid=djb023&trackingpartnercode=9): failed to open stream: Connection refused. Please enable debug mode for more information.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Your thoughts please 11 years 2 months ago #8076

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Hi Paul.....

According to my records purchased in 1983 for $15.00 Cdn at Calgary Easter Gun Show......

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

Re: Your thoughts please 11 years 2 months ago #8079

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 119
Frank,

You should have bought the Milner medals when you had the chance! Would have gone well with the flowers.

They came in so late for the Centenary 1999 auction that Spink didn't have time to do a worthwhile write-up. And one of our fellow forum members got them at a steal. But weren't you there that day?

For the want of a nail etc.

All the best,

Justin

Re: Your thoughts please 11 years 2 months ago #8081

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Justin,
For the want of several more thousand pounds really, :sick: , but, I had spent a lot of money by the end of day one, you can't get everything, I spent both days plugging holes in my collection rather than buying what I really should have been buying.
Medals were quite cheap in those days, I did not consider that the market would be driven by speculators and hedge fund managers to the extent that it is now, I have no regrets about Viscount Milner's medals, however, I do regret not having a more vigorous pursuit of Major Vallentin! :(
To add insult, I can also tell you that it took me years to get an example of a QSA to his own volunteers, I should have just bid on the lot following Major Vallentin's medals.
I did bid on one that came up for sale a couple of years later, but, it went for a lot of money, so I did not get that either!
Regards Frank

JustinLDavies wrote: Frank,

You should have bought the Milner medals when you had the chance! Would have gone well with the flowers.

They came in so late for the Centenary 1999 auction that Spink didn't have time to do a worthwhile write-up. And one of our fellow forum members got them at a steal. But weren't you there that day?

For the want of a nail etc.

All the best,

Justin

Never mind, at least Alfred endures!

Attachments:

Re: Your thoughts please 11 years 2 months ago #8101

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Frank

Your amaryllis is as impressive as your medal and badge collections. I admire your curatorial skills!

Regards
Brett

Re: Your thoughts please 11 years 1 month ago #8465

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank, Brett,

I had a nice show of Amaryllis in the garden last season with blooms 150mm across, but this year large hail destroyed the show. Maybe I should also grow them in pots.....

I'm sure ZARP insignia is quite rare as the ZARPs took a terrible pounding from British Artillery at Bergendal.

regards, Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.814 seconds