Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11538

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
Brett

I agree with you that the NVR is not a definitive record and I wonder how it was compiled, it does clearly state 1899-1900 so it would not comprehensively include all Natal Police. I have copies of the Natal Gazette for 1899 and 1900 listing all numbers and promotions for the volunteers as compiled at the end of the year and submitted as a report, unfortunately this does not include the Police. The medal rolls would give the most accurate picture of those who earned medals at least. Look forward to seeing if you find any definitive answers in the archive

Cheers
Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11541

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Ein Sudwestafrika denkmunze? I don't think I would want to wear Germania on my chest! :sick:

Brett Hendey wrote: Thanks for your kind comments, Adrian. Except for the presence of the Rebellion medal, there must be many similar groups for the Cape Police, and with the added bonus of a KSA. Then there are the Cape Police groups with the German medal for 1907 in the Kalahari!

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11546

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
They are an interesting footnote of African history, Frank. Like Adrian, I would like to have one of those Cape Police groups in my collection, even though it would be 'out of place'. The Germans were stern colonial masters and, although inhabitants of former British colonies whine and moan about how their ancestors were treated, they were in fact fortunate not to have had the Germans in charge. As might be expected, the Germans practised 'survival of the fittest' more as Mother Nature intended it to be.

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11550

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Remind me again, just for the record, the herero had sticks (okay sharp ones!) and not much else, when you say survival of the fittest, I'm thinking genocide! what are mother natures thoughts on magazine rifles, machine guns and artillery?
I don't have any of those in Cape groups either.
King regards Frank.

Brett Hendey wrote: They are an interesting footnote of African history, Frank. Like Adrian, I would like to have one of those Cape Police groups in my collection, even though it would be 'out of place'. The Germans were stern colonial masters and, although inhabitants of former British colonies whine and moan about how their ancestors were treated, they were in fact fortunate not to have had the Germans in charge. As might be expected, the Germans practised 'survival of the fittest' more as Mother Nature intended it to be.

Regards
Brett

Horrible looking thing, Germania looks like a soprano, belongs in a Wagnerian opera, silly hat and bad sausage breath! :sick: :sick: :sick: sorry rant over!!!!!!!!!! :(

Attachments:

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11570

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Frank

Technology is also an indication of 'fitness', as indigenous populations in the Americas, Africa and Australasia found out to their cost. The fate of the Hereros was a good indication of the size of the German colonial boot relative to that of the British one.

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11582

• Frank Kelley
Hello Brett,
Are you sure? but, I thought the size of "their" colonial (jack :sick: ) boot was in fact little more than a rather small, but, well positioned, hotel in Luderitzbucht, decor, much in need of modernization, complete with a rather inadequate swimming pool and a somewhat insatiable number of sun loungers, frequented only by people with bad taste? :unsure:
Regards Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.069 seconds