Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11529

• crypt
  • Thank you received: 179
Frank

According to the Natal Volunteer Record 1899-1900 there are 310 men listed as its total strength for Natal. Another 300 rank and file of the Zululand (Native) Police can also be added. This Roll covers only 1899-1900

Jon

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11531

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Jon,
Well, I think we can say that they are really not common medals and worth having regardless of particular clasps!
Thanks and kind regards Frank

crypt wrote: Frank

According to the Natal Volunteer Record 1899-1900 there are 310 men listed as its total strength for Natal. Another 300 rank and file of the Zululand (Native) Police can also be added. This Roll covers only 1899-1900

Jon

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11533

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Brett,

Two fantastic groups you have posted. Really something special.

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11534

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Thanks for your kind comments, Adrian. Except for the presence of the Rebellion medal, there must be many similar groups for the Cape Police, and with the added bonus of a KSA. Then there are the Cape Police groups with the German medal for 1907 in the Kalahari!

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11535

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 716
Jon

I have problems with the numbers given for the Police in the Natal Volunteer Record. For example, it lists only 67 names for "Besieged in Ladysmith", while there are 90 men with the 'Defence of Ladysmith' clasp on the QSA roll. There are similar discrepancies for the 'Natal' and 'Relief of Ladysmith' clasps. I think part of the problem is that the Record may only have listed the names of men in the Natal Police Field Force (i.e. on active service and disengaged from normal policing duties). It is known that District Police also became embroiled in the war, thereby qualifying for battle clasps (e.g. the Estcourt District Police under Inspector Mardall took part in the 'Relief' operations.) The only mention of District Police in the Record is under the Melmoth Field Force (i.e. "Sub-Inspector Lewis, Sergt. Ottley, 7 troopers."). In addition, there were court and other police in towns, the Water Police in Durban, and gaolers.

There may well be records in the Archives in Pietermaritzburg that will settle this issue.

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11537

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Brett,

Yes, you are quite correct.

There can be found many a group to the CP with a few nice medals included. The very early men that had prior service in the FAMP can sometimes be found with the SAGS as well as the CGHGS medal and of course sometimes with the QSA and then often with the KSA. The real bonus is that there are a few DOM and a good many DOK groups out there as well. Then one can also find many a group with the Cape medal, QSA\KSA and WW1 Trio for service in the 5th SAMR.

I have it that there are 66 Kalahari medals to the CP with clasp and 12 without clasp of a total of 92 with and 14 without.The rest going to the CMR and sadly I have none!!

However, there are a few CMR chaps that were awarded the Natal 1906 medal and of course a few Natal Policemen that were awarded the Cape of Good Hope General Service medal as well.

All fascinating stuff.

Regards
Adrian

Brett Hendey wrote: Thanks for your kind comments, Adrian. Except for the presence of the Rebellion medal, there must be many similar groups for the Cape Police, and with the added bonus of a KSA. Then there are the Cape Police groups with the German medal for 1907 in the Kalahari!

Regards
Brett

Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.998 seconds