Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11459

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Brett,
Okay, so you can't have SA01 and 02 together then on the same medal?
Regards Frank

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11470

• Brett Hendey
  • Brett Hendey's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 714
Frank

The post-Natal Campaign recruits all got the QSA with both date clasps but, with few exceptions, they were the only ones to get the SA02 clasp, whereas the SA '01 clasp was shared with many of the other men. Hence only the 02's were added to the total count.

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11497

• Brett Hendey
Frank

I found the NP QSA list and, of course, I had not remembered the total number correctly. The 500 was in fact the approximate figure for the Natal clasp only. The total number of men represented was about 932.

This figure was arrived at by adding the following clasp numbers:
Natal - 474
Defence of Ladysmith - 90
Relief of Ladysmith - 205
South Africa 1902 - 163

The clasps Transvaal, Orange Free State, Talana, Tugela Heights, Laing's Nek, Belfast and South Africa 1901 are always found in conjunction with one or other of the above clasps.

I cannot guarantee the numbers, which were compiled many years ago, but they must be approximately correct.

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11498

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Hello Brett,

Let me show you one of the groups that I have. QSA with only the SA 1901 and confirmed as such on the roll.

A somewhat rare find I think.

Below is his story as I have it so far:

2654 Tpr T.H.F. Wright, Natal Police

This is an unusual but confirmed QSA with single date clasp entitlement to the Natal Police.

2654 Wright, T H F joined the Natal Police on 3/9/1901, so clearly qualified for the 1901 clasp.

The two date clasps are the standard combination for the men contemporary with Wright. However, Wright appears on the Natal Police roll dated 12th August 1908 as being entitled to the 1901 clasp only. There is clearly a story behind this single clasp entitlement. The enlistment register in the PMB Archives shows no discharge date under the “Remarks” as is noted for other men on the page.

As far as I can tell then, this is the only Natal Police man to have the single SA 1901 clasp attached to his QSA. To those who collect single-clasp QSA’S this might be regarded as a real treasure.

Thomas Wright was born in 1883 and passed away in Durban aged 64 years at the Parklands Nursing Home on the 26th June 1947.

According to his Death notice which was found in the PMB Archives, his birth place was given as Hull, England and his normal place of residence was given as 40, The Mansions, West Street, Durban. Occupation was Bar Manager and that he died from amongst other things, Cirrhosis of the Liver.

Wright joined the Natal Police on the 3rd September 1901 in the UK aged approx 18 years and travelled to SA on the Braemar Castle. His enlistment was completed in Pietermaritzburg. His enlistment entry shows his next of Kin as his Grandmother, Mrs Kenyon of 25 Cavendish Place, Warwick Road, Carlisle. (REF: NMP 6 page 226)

Wright it would seem, served until the end of the Boer War and remained with the Natal Police until some point after the Natal Rebellion in 1906.

Wright was married to Nellie Wright, born Seymour - Hosley who passed away on the 3rd April 1941 in Addington Hospital, Durban from malnutrition and cerebral hemorrhage.

As he died Intestate, other documents were in his Estate file and these show that he had two Brothers and one Sister. One of the Brothers was KIA on the 4th November 1916 at Ypres.

The surviving Sister arrived in Durban from England in 1949. She was then informed that Wright had passed away in 1947 and she wrote an affidavit to the effect that she had not seen her Brother for 47 years and felt that she was entitled to a portion of her late Brothers estate.

Nothing further could be found pertaining to his life in Durban other than he worked as a Bar Manager up until his death.
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.
Attachments:

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11505

• Brett Hendey
It is indeed a very unusual Natal Police QSA and one of those oddities that make collecting QSA's such a rewarding hobby.

It is also gratifying to know that that the NP is taking some of your attention away from your beloved Cape Police!

Regards
Brett

Natal Police 10 years 10 months ago #11508

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 427
Brett,

Hopefully the small NP collection I have will grow over time :)

Regards
Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.609 seconds