Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 7 months ago #78061

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Feedback contributors
Quite some time ago I became the custodian of a Distinguished Conduct medal group to a man who had served on the Tugela front with the West Yorks, came home and shortly afterwards enlisted in the 48th Coy., I.Y. His DCM was awarded for Moedwil with an excellent citation. The group will be shown later. The group, however, contained a Yorkshire Tribute medal in addition to the decoration and the QSA/KSA.
According to Hibbard, the Tribute has the second type reverse and the illustrated example is impressed in serifed capitals to "22883 T.Jordan." That number is as impressed on his DCM (7th Imperial Yeomanry) and his KSA (Imperial Yeomanry). The QSA is numbered and named to the West Yorks.
Now, according to the references I have read, these Yorkshire Tribute medals were awarded to the Yorkshire enlistments for the IY. Yet, S/SM T.Jordan served with the 48th West Somerset sqn of the IY. My first thought was that possibly the Yorkshire Tribute medal was self-awarded and renamed. However, the naming style is correct and the diameters of the medal are consistent (1.543"-1.545") according to my vernier.
Is it possible that men who served during the Boer War and came from Yorkshire could claim The Yorkshire Tribute medal - even if they did not serve with one of their contingents?

Any comments on this apparent anomaly would be welcomed.
Regards
IL.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, azyeoman

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 7 months ago #78062

• azyeoman
  • Thank you received: 289
In the past, I focused on medals to the Yorkshire Hussars and in doing so ran across a few Yorkshire Tributes (YT), two orb three in 40+ years, that were officially awarded to Yorkshiremen who had served in non-Yorkshire units during the war. They are by no means common. Also, Of the three reverses, the one to the 66th is the scarcest and quite unusual to rare on the market as would be a YT to a Tyke who had served in a non-Yorks unit. :)

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 7 months ago #78065

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1527
Azyeoman
Thanks for that input. I guess that explanation makes sense and I suppose an intended recipient would write to or contact the Organising Committee to make his case for the award.
YTs are very very uncommon over here. Years ago, I encountered a YT pair to a "Lt. C.Peel, Imperial Yeomanry" but I never researched it and it went with the rest in previously described circumstances.
Regards
IL.

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 7 months ago #78074

• rob carman
  • Thank you received: 38
Additional notes on Gt Yarmouth and 1st round of tribute medals

We have Allard (2005) to thank for most of the information that follows on the march through Yarmouth by returning Volunteers, following, in reverse, the route by which they had begun their adventure over a year before. Twelve men, in khaki and looking tanned and fit, they arrived at Vauxhall Station early in the morning, Saturday 18 May. Capt Walter Diver, Sgt SJ Owles, and Privates FA Beeching, LH French, PB Frere, OJ Olley, P Tilley, AJ Nicholls, WB Tyrell, R Wooden, WH Veale, TW Nichols, and HV Ward were joined at the station by Cpl CB Diver, Pte WB Pratt, and Pte F Hewitt, who had been invalided home, and Trooper F Bacon, Lord Loch’s Scouts, Gunner S Leavold RGA, and Trooper Gambling, Kitchener’s Horse. Cheering crowds and music met them. As they passed along North Quay, they passed a large banner announcing, “Welcome to our Brave Men”. The crowd pushed in and progress slowed. At the Town Hall, on the corner of North Quay and Regent Street, huge banners saying, “Welcome Home” and “You are our heroes – our gallant boys” were hung. There was a civic reception, Mayor CS Orde and the Lady Mayoress, and the Heads of the Borough shook hands with each man and the Mayor presented each with the Yarmouth Boer War Tribute Medal. After which the men fell in again and marched up Regent Street still hemmed in by the crowd. They turned into York Road, stopping at the Drill Hall, to be dismissed only after one last round of the National Anthem. The next morning, a Sunday, 3000 watched church parade. Military bands, the fire brigade and local Royal Artillery units joined in to make it a big do.

Allard, Peter. 2005. Great Yarmouth and the Boer War. Yarmouth Archaeology. pp. 25-30
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 7 months ago #78075

• rob carman
Gt yarnmouth - return of 2nd Vol service Coy, Norfolk Regt

No date is given for the second round of tributre awards. This e Bay thumbnail image might help a bit.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 7 months ago #78076

• rob carman
Kings Lynn, Norfolk, England

Kings Lynn welcomed home its 1 Vol Service Coy men. According to KILLM: 1983.68.55.1 Sergeant H Lambert (A Coy), Corporal WH Rutter (B Coy); Privates CE Ayre (A Coy), JL Wright (A Coy) (A Coy) and JD Franks ( all of 3Vb and maybe all the A or B Coy, 3 VB men in 1 VSC) received a formal welcome home - banquet and speeches and a memorial medal – in Kings Lynn’s Assembly Hall on 23 May, 1901.

Souvenir of South African War 1899-1900' Gilded alloy medal (32mm dia.) Obverse has coat of arms of the town with “Souvenir of South African War 1899-1900 [note dates!] / King’s Lynn” and “George Bristow Mayor”. Reverse has linked portrait images of Baden-Powell, French and Roberts below royal arms and dates 1899-1900. Presented by Mayor George Bristow to Pte C Pert 5401, 1 VSC and C Coy, 3 VB, Norfolk Regiment. Pert is not named on the Kings Lynn Roll of those that served, nor is he named in/on KILLM 1983.68.55.1 that names 4 other men (see above).

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachment not found

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Neville_C

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.649 seconds