Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 8 months ago #78078

• Neville_C
  • Thank you received: 1991
This is most interesting.
I have always assumed that the Kings Lynn bronze medals were simple souvenirs rather than tribute medals. They turn up frequently and are not named.
On the other hand, I have never come across the gilt version with ribbon - I assume this is the example named to Private PERT.
How is the naming done - edge engraved or impressed?
N

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 8 months ago #78080

• rob carman
  • Thank you received: 38
I have not seen these myself. The information is from: www.ukauctioneers.com/auction_catalogue....ew=list&imagesOnly=N

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 8 months ago #78117

• Grandrew2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 10
I am proud to say that I am the custodian of the Grantham Tribute Medal to Bugler E Morris of the 2nd Volunteer Active Service Company, Lincolnshire Regiment. The database shows him incorrectly as 6631 Bugler Arthur Morris but I have his QSA too and this clearly shows him as 6740 E Morris.
The Grantham Journal Saturday 28th June 1902 Page 4 under the heading of HOME FROM THE WAR Arrival of the Grantham Volunteers Yesterday ………. At last, the welcome order to return was received and the company, ninety-five strong, left Cape Town in the SS Syria on June 4th, together with the volunteer companies of the Yorkshire, Lancashire Suffolk, Sussex and Welsh regiments, detachments of the Imperial Yeomanry and the Northumberland Fusiliers. The Grantham men were:-
L/Cpl W Shadbolt
Bugler E Morris
Pte J Buxton
Pte W W Cragg
Pte J E Edgeley
Pte J A Fincham
Pte J Greetham
Pte W Sabey who went out with the company has been invalided home.
This article also adds “the draft despatched in February last containing four Grantham men still remain in South Africa” but does state there names
Sadly, their arrival in Grantham coincided with Edward VII appendicitis and the cancelation of the Coronation. Consequently, out of respect there was no presentation of the Grantham medals till the King had recovered. This did not take too long and the Grantham Journal 16th August 1902 confirms they were awarded their Tribute medals on Coronation Day the 9th August. The Newspaper article does not name them or say how may medals. However the vote of thanks was given by L/Cpl Shadbolt so I am confident that would be eight named above plus Orchard (see below).
The presentation of their QSA in November (Grantham Journal 15 Nov 1900) mentions the above eight plus Orchard. He is I believe 6691 George Frederick Orchard and the article mentions that all the men presented with QSAs had already got their Grantham Tribute medal and only Pte E Hibbard and W Jackson got a tribute medal that day. Could they with Orchard be part of the four mentioned as remaining? I can find no more references to any men returning or presentations of any more Tribute medals in the Grantham Journal.
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, Neville_C, Moranthorse1

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 8 months ago #78120

• Neville_C
Thank you for the information Grandrew2. Database updated accordingly.
One question: the QSA roll gives him as Private / Driver E. Morris. What is his rank on the QSA and tribute medal?
Also, this is a medal I do not have a photograph of. Similarly I have no details of the inscription.
It would be brilliant if you could provide these.
Neville

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 8 months ago #78121

• dunnboer
  • Thank you received: 363
Better (I hope!) pictures of the Great Yarmouth Tribute and its presentation box.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, rob carman, Moranthorse1

Feedback on the Tribute Medal database 2 years 8 months ago #78122

• Neville_C
Brilliant Paul,
Much better!!
N

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.061 seconds