Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Hello, I'm a New Member 11 years 3 months ago #7838

• Angloannie
  • Angloannie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Hello, I'm a new member so please be patient if I make mistakes or post things in the wrong place. I have joined the forum hoping to find details of a man who fought in the Boer War. I can't find his name or number listed under any of the searches. From his Attestation Papers: Enlisted age 17.
Posted to 5th Bn. Royal Irish Rifles 11.03.1899. Embodied 10.05.1900.
Embarked for S.A. 05.04 1901. Granted G.C. Pay @ 1/- 18.05.1902
Disembarked from S.A. 28.07.1902. Paid War Gratuity @ £6.5s.0d 14.08.02.
Exempt 1903 and 1904. Discharged (Termination of Engagement) 10.03.1905.
Name: Francis Hanna, No. 2954. Lived in Lisburn County Antrim and received the Queen's South Africa Medal.

Francis went on to re-enlist in WW1 and was killed at the Battle of the Somme in March 1918. Any ideas as to where I can details of where he was and what he was doing in South Africa would be most welcome.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Hello, I'm a New Member 11 years 3 months ago #7840

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Good afternoon and welcome,
I had a quick look in WO100 and found him serving with the 5th Royal Irish Rifles, his QSA has the clasps for Cape Colony and Orange Free State.
I would have a look at the regt's history on line if I were you, again welcome and good luck in your research.
Regards Frank

Attachments:

Re: Hello, I'm a New Member 11 years 3 months ago #7843

• Angloannie
  • Angloannie's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 1
Thank you for replying Frank and for your welcome. That is great information. Now I know he has served in Cape Colony and Orange Free State this has given me something to go on. I will look at the Regiment's history and see what I can find. Your help is much appreciated.
Regards, Annie

Re: Hello, I'm a New Member 11 years 3 months ago #7844

• Frank Kelley
Hi Annie,
Well, he is serving with the 5th RIR and from the date you give for embarking, the war still had a full year to run and it was a very brutal final phase too.
He might well have taken part in some drives or he may well have spent much of his time in a blockhouse.
Are you looking at a transcribed copy of his papers or the actual papers, is his clasp entitlement not shown with his medal in his papers?
Regards again Frank

Re: Hello, I'm a New Member 11 years 3 months ago #7845

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Angloannie and welcome to the forum.
Use the link below for some of the Regiments movements through the campaign.
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...1-royal-irish-rifles
Paul :)

Angloannie wrote: Hello, I'm a new member so please be patient if I make mistakes or post things in the wrong place. I have joined the forum hoping to find details of a man who fought in the Boer War. I can't find his name or number listed under any of the searches. From his Attestation Papers: Enlisted age 17.
Name: Francis Hanna, No. 2954. Lived in Lisburn County Antrim and received the Queen's South Africa Medal.

Francis went on to re-enlist in WW1 and was killed at the Battle of the Somme in March 1918. Any ideas as to where I can details of where he was and what he was doing in South Africa would be most welcome.

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Hello, I'm a New Member 11 years 3 months ago #7846

• Frank Kelley
Paul,
Don't forget that link takes Annie to John Stirling's book, it is the regular battalions he is talking about and not the militia, Hanna, did not arrive in the country until late spring 1901.
Frank

coldstream wrote: Hello Angloannie and welcome to the forum.
Use the link below for some of the Regiments movements through the campaign.
www.angloboerwar.com/unit-information/im...1-royal-irish-rifles
Paul :)

Angloannie wrote: Hello, I'm a new member so please be patient if I make mistakes or post things in the wrong place. I have joined the forum hoping to find details of a man who fought in the Boer War. I can't find his name or number listed under any of the searches. From his Attestation Papers: Enlisted age 17.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.874 seconds