Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #72987

• forengr2
  • forengr2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi everyone, I've been helping my father in law sell his large collection of toy soldiers and militaria for the past few years, and with his passing this year, I'm on my own. :^(.
I've learned a tremendous amount about history and toy soldiers as part of the process, but sometimes I find myself at a loss. I came across a beautiful QSA medal with Cape Colony and Transvaal clasps, and I thought it would be respectful to research who might have owned it. Unfortunately, the embossing/engraving is almost completely worn off. I'm hoping that if I can post photos, somebody will know what it *should* say, and I'll be able to go from there.
Thoughts about which thread in which to post the photos would be helpful, and any information that will get me started will be gratefully welcomed. I don't know much about the Anglo Boer War, so I'm sure I'll learn something along the way!
Thanks,
Heather F
forengr2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #72988

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2294
Hello, Heather, and welcome. I would say add them to this thread.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forengr2

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #72990

• forengr2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thanks! Well, here goes. I'll try to post the photos as you'd read around the edge of the medallion. As far as I can tell, the first letters are "4 AUT" but it could be something else.

Attachments:

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #72991

• forengr2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Here's the second photo, which I think says "PTE." I assume this means the medal recipient was a Private. Next to the PTE is what looks like old engraving (rather than impressed lettering). I think that must have been the person's name, and unless someone is a genius at reading old engraving, I think it's well and truly gone!

Attachments:

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #72992

• forengr2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Continuing to work around, more engraving, and some impressed lettering which looks like it might say "TL" but it's possible it's something else, as we're only looking at the middle of the letters, with the top/bottom missing. Then, more unreadable stuff, which should be a number, from what I've read about these medals.

Attachments:

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #72993

• forengr2
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
And finally, the last of the photos. Also very hard to read.
My hope is that if I can at least find out what the first few letters say, I can find some general information about the soldier who was awarded this medal.

Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.961 seconds