Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 5 months ago #73096

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2303

forengr2 wrote: How do you find out who was in a regiment?

I've sent a message on Facebook to the Regimental Association, explaining what we're trying to do and asking if they can give us a name for Private 4361. Of course, it may not be the Lincolnshire Regiment, but no harm asking.
The following user(s) said Thank You: forengr2

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 5 months ago #73097

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Interested Forum members
I have been watching this topic without being able to contribute. The quest to ascertain the recipient is certainly one with a great deal of merit. Inspired by Berenice's suggestion about the Lincs. Regt., and having some time to spare this afternoon, off to WO100/173 we went. There are a number of lads in the regimental number range 43XX. Unfortunately, I could find no roll entry for a "4361".
Has Forum member forengr2 tried rolling the medal's edge (where what is left of the naming remains) across an inkpad and then doing the same across a white paper surface? That might show what remains of the naming. I have heard of that being done here many years ago.
Good luck with this quest!
Regards
IL,
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK, forengr2

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 5 months ago #73098

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2149
Way back in 2008 I stumbled across a Zulu War medal, similarly tampered with. Here is what the fundis had to say about it:

It all depends on how bad the erasure is, but a prof. in our forensic lab at the University I work for has managed to photograph the letters on an erased medal under an electronic microscope ..... he said the other option is a SEM (Surface Electron Microscope) but medals are to big to fit in the machine we have! (so still an untested theory!)

The Electronic microscope cannot see the compression but you can get a shadow/outline - especially if the medal is toned. We then take pictures and each letter ends up about 6cm, so it is easy to see! If the medal is absolutely smooth on the rim this technique does not work....

There was also an offer from a chap in the US, who works with this sort of thing, to delve deeper if I was prepared to send the medal to him?

Bottom line? Is there a University near to you that his this sort of microscope? The problem could be solved that way if they were amenable.

Regards

Rory
The following user(s) said Thank You: djb, BereniceUK, forengr2

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 5 months ago #73099

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
I was a little surprised to note a certain 4361 Alec Taylor in one of their Militia Battalions, he joined as a thirteen year old, but, post Anglo Boer War.

BereniceUK wrote:

forengr2 wrote: How do you find out who was in a regiment?

I've sent a message on Facebook to the Regimental Association, explaining what we're trying to do and asking if they can give us a name for Private 4361. Of course, it may not be the Lincolnshire Regiment, but no harm asking.

The following user(s) said Thank You: forengr2

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 5 months ago #73100

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1537
Berenice and Rory
There is a procedure used in firearms forensic work where a firearm with an erased/disfigured serial number (or even an altered type designation) may have it's ID restored. The technique detects the disturbed metal under the erasure. I am pretty sure this was done here several years ago and it was the subject of discussion in certain circles - because it did not work too well with etched numbers/characters.
We trudge on ........
Best regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: BereniceUK, forengr2

QSA Cape Colony Transvaal, trying to research the owner 3 years 4 months ago #73355

• forengr2
  • forengr2's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi Everyone, I just wanted to offer an update. I've tried photographing the side of this medal from just about every angle imaginable, doing a stamp/rubbing, even coloring it in with felt pen to see if I could get any better impression of the lettering. No dice. So, unless I find someone with an electron microscope of one of the leads described here pans out, I'm afraid we're at a bit of a stopping place! If anyone has other suggestions about how to find out more regarding our mystery Private 4601 or 4631, please let me know...Thanks very much for everyone's help! hf

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.461 seconds