Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4888

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Hello Iain,

Yes I did finish it and can recommend it, it is fairly concise and detailed.
I was lucky enough to find it at a militaria fair and paid £3 so it not much of a gamble.
I keep coming back to it as a good source of reference so it was £3 well spent, may be worth a look on ebay, sometimes bargains to be had!

Paul :)

iaindh wrote:

coldstream wrote: New book aquired last Sunday, just wonder if anyone has read it and can offer a review.
Ladysmith by Ruari Chisholm first published in 1979 by Osprey Publishing.
Started reading last night and it seems a good book.

Paul

Hi Paul,

did you finish the above book and would you recommend it as there is a copy available?

thanks,

Iain

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."
The following user(s) said Thank You: iaindh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4891

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Paul,

the copy available is for GBP10 but on your recommendation I'll go for it; I'm desparate for a good read plus it is a first edition and in good condition with dustcover!!!! :cheer:

thanks again,

Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4892

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Iain,

If I think that is still a good price for a first edition, especially with the dust cover.
Hope you enjoy it, let me know your review in time.

Paul :)

iaindh wrote: Hi Paul,

the copy available is for GBP10 but on your recommendation I'll go for it; I'm desparate for a good read plus it is a first edition and in good condition with dustcover!!!! :cheer:

thanks again,

Iain

"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4911

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
While sorting out what can stay and what must go amongst my possessions, I paged through an ancient copy of Thomas Pakenham's 'The Boer War'. The preface to Chapter 3 amused me when I first read it, and it has amused me again, perhaps because I started my career as a geologist.

"Geologist to Kruger in 1886: 'Mr President, the conglomerate gold-beds and enclosing sandstones and quartzites were sea-shore deposits during the subsidence of a coast line in.....'
Kruger to his wife: 'Mama, meet the gentleman who was there when god made the earth."

This illustrates the differences of opinions that ultimately led to the Boer War. I wonder if the geologist was one of the 'Uitlander' refugees in Pietermaritzburg who in September 1899 joined the Imperial Light Horse, my favourite regiment?

Brett

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4914

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Ja, but Oom Paul didnt mind taxing the Uitlanders 75% (?) of their gold revenue to line the Transvaal Republic's Governments pockets and also to use the money to buy arms in order to invade the Cape and Natal.
I actually have no sympathy for Kruger, its so sad though that so many British and Empire soldiers lost their lives for one man's greed! He didnt want to share with the Uitlanders and you're probably right in the assumption that the Geologist may have been one of the Fighting Five Hundred; the ILH is also my favourite regiment.

But without his greed there would have been no Boer war and no Forum.......

Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4918

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Gentlemen,
I am with you both on the Imperial Light Horse, but please don't forget the uitlander's in the Imperial Light Infantry ( what would Col Nash say!) they did just as well and only existed for a very brief period in time.
Frank

Brett Hendey wrote:
This illustrates the differences of opinions that ultimately led to the Boer War. I wonder if the geologist was one of the 'Uitlander' refugees in Pietermaritzburg who in September 1899 joined the Imperial Light Horse, my favourite regiment?

Brett

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.485 seconds