Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3521

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Paul,

I'm new to this forum and I'm essentially a military badge collector. Originally collecting British and then South African as that is my adopted country.
In my research I recently read "Light Horse Cavalcade" by Colonel Harry Klein about the formation of the Imperial Light Horse in September 1899 from Johannesburg Uitlanders and their involvement in many of the theatres of the Boer war including the defence of Ladysmith, including Wagon hill, the attempted rescue of the armoured train in which Winston Churchill was ambushed, relief of Ladysmith, (2 squadrons not involved in the siege were amongst the first to relieve the embattled town,) through to the relief of Mafeking; first to ride into that town.
I then went on to read Conan Doyle's account of "The great Boer war." This shows the other side of the coin as to the causes and from there gives a blow by blow account from the start to the finish of the war.
I realise this book is on the forum but it should also be read by all interested parties.

Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3527

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
Iain

Welome to this forum. I share your interest in the Imperial Light Horse. Highly recommended is the following book:
'The Story of the Imperial Light Horse in the South African War 1899-1902'
by G F Gibson. Published by G.D. & Co in 1937.

This book has already been mentioned elsewhere, but it is worth repeating the recommendation since it is such an outstanding record of a remarkable regiment.

Regards
Brett

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3528

• capepolice
  • Thank you received: 432
Another good publication which is now obviously out of print is the" History of the Imperial Light Horse 1899-1961" It covers the Boer War, 1906 Bambatha Campaign, WW1 and WW2.

For the life of me I cannot remember who wrote it or when it was published. I shall look at it when back at home.

Adrian
Part time researcher of the Cape Police and C.P.G Regiment.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3534

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Brett,
I agree with you, Gibson's book is one of the best ever written, getting hold of a copy is not easy these days and you have to take out a mortgage to afford it when you do find a copy!

Kind regards
Frank

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3535

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Iain

Welcome to the Forum

Gentlemen thank you for adding to the thread and your recommendations.
If we collated all the Forums members books we would have a superb library!

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3540

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Brett,

I'll look out for your book which probably goes into more depth than Harry Klein's which covers the period 1899 to 1961 when the title changed from ILH to Light Horse regiment with SA becoming a republic.

regards,
Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.970 seconds