Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 11 months ago #3424

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
As the title says"What are you reading/read and recommendations"

Being a fairly new scholar of the Boer War my bookshelf was a little bare with writtings of this campaign.
My only title until recently was "The Boer War 1899-1902" by David Smurthwaite not a bad book but quite generalised and more of a "picture book" I thought.
I have now increased my library with the following titles:
The Boer War by Thomas Packenham
Goodbye Dolly Gray by Rayne Kruger
Battles of the Boer War by W.Baring Pemberton
Davids book Elandslaagte

I am currently on the last chapters of "Battles of the Boer War" which i am finding a very good read.
I have seen the titles listed on the site and they make good reference (thank you David)
Just wondering what other members are reading and any good recommendations.

Regards

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 11 months ago #3425

• Stephen Bayley
  • Thank you received: 32
Gidday Mate,

Reading "Light Horse" A history of Australia's Mounted Arm by Jean Bou. Not sure why a Frog is writing about armed mounted Aussies clip clopping around the world?? All the same a reasonable read on SA & the Boer War from a Franco/Anglo/Colonial-Oz/NZ perspective in a number of chapters.

My interest is probably more towards the Kiwi's which is proving harder to find a good read. Suggestions anyone??

Cheers
Stephen

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 11 months ago #3428

• coldstream
Hi Stephen,

Many thanks to the reply to the thread, good to find out what other members are reading.
Good luck with your NZ quest.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 11 months ago #3429

• Mark Wilkie
  • Thank you received: 45
Perhaps Admin may want to merge this thread with the earlier one:
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany...are-you-reading#2197

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 11 months ago #3430

• coldstream
Mark

Sorry if I have hijacked your original thread, my apologies should of searched before starting.
Good idea to merge threads.

Paul :blush:

Mark Wilkie wrote: Perhaps Admin may want to merge this thread with the earlier one:
www.angloboerwar.com/forum/13-miscellany...are-you-reading#2197

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 10 months ago #3461

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Paul,
I'm currently on an oringal copy of "The Natal Campaign" by Bennett Burleigh circa 1900, he was the Daily Telegraph's correspondent in South Africa and had been in the Tranvaal before the war started.
He then went back to Natal and covered the advance with Buller until Val Krantz, then transferred himself to the western front with Lord Roberts.
So there is at the end a short epilogue that covers the conclusion of the campaign in Natal.
I think next up will be anything written by the American Julian Ralph, who was there as a correspondent with the Daily Mail, one of his quotes I remmember was "Mauser fire starts off with a crack, continues with the buzz of a bee and ends with a dull thud, in the ground or in ones body"
Graphic stuff in Queen Victorias day!
Frank

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.574 seconds