Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4932

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Frank,

thanks for the info on the disbandment of the ILH, I wasnt aware of it! :blush:

I'm not sure this is the correct place to post this, but here is a pic of some of my ILH badges including the 2 new aquisitions

The 2 larger titles are the new boys! :cheer:
They're almost identical but one has flat D lugs and the other has a pin clasp, both ABW slouch hat badges. Very pleased
If you want close ups let me know!

Kind regards,
Iain
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4934

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Iain,
Yes assume you are talking about the two ILH's at the bottom, if so, they are the early cast type and made in Natal during the Boer War.
Agree with you, perhaps you could start of a new ILH thread or repost in another thread that includes ILH, but a nice collection of ILH anyway! :)
Thanks for sharing, where is your 1902-07 badge?
Frank

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4938

• coldstream
  • coldstream's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 214
Iain,

That is a very nice collection of badges, thank you for sharing.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4962

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hi Iain,
You put me on the spot, the other day, regarding the Imperial Light Horse, I do not like posting anything on here, unless it is fact, just looked in WO108/339, the original being at Kew and I'm pleased to tell you my memory has not let me down, in the case of both regt's the date was indeed 7th July 1902 and the place was Jo'burg as mentioned, both, are also confirmed in their nominal roll in WO127, I had a copy made of this latter over twenty years ago now, when I was little more than a boy and I've lost count of the number of times that I have studied it down the years!
The ILH were just so bloody good, a great thing to collect, medals and badges, you can never have too many!
Glad to see you are spending your money on something worth while!
Great to talk to you Iain,
Regards Frank

iaindh wrote: You mention that the ILH were disbanded? According to my references there was continuity although they did become volunteers.

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4963

• iaindh
Paul,

many thanks, it is my favourite unit :) but in actually fact they're badges didnt vary much so a collection is limited. I do have also when they changed to Light Horse Regiment in 1964 but not so relevant to this forum.

Iain

Re: Books--What are you reading/read and recommendations 11 years 8 months ago #4964

• iaindh
Hi Frank,

Many thanks for the detailed clarification on the disbandment of the ILH. My reference book "Light Horse Cavalcade" doesnt appear to mention that and I am looking for 'The Story of the Imperial Light Horse in the South African War 1899-1902'by G F Gibson. One copy did come up but it was 750 Rand which is nearly GBP60...... :sick: So I'll keep looking......

I may still start a new thread on the ILH but for now the moment has passed and we're back to books :lol:
Also great to talk to you Frank
Kind regards,
Iain

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.951 seconds