Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Boer POWs: West Indies 2 years 1 month ago #81726

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
I recently came across this newspaper report and would welcome any sources that confirms Boer POWs were going to be transported to the West Indies

Many thanks, Tony

Darwen News 21 Jun 1902

The Volunteers who are expected home this week-end will not be accompanied by Captain Carus. Councillor Carus received a telegram a fortnight ago from his son to say that he was going on special service in the West Indies conveying Boer prisoners. He had evidently received his orders before the conclusion of peace. On Thursday, Councillor Carus received a second telegram stating that the West India appointment had been cancelled on account of peace, and that he was setting sail for home that day on the “Dunvegan Castle.” This means that another fortnight will elapse before Captain Edmund reaches home. The special service men are due to-day, under the command of Lieutenant Munn

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Boer POWs: West Indies 2 years 1 month ago #81766

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4500
Tony,

I am not aware of any camps in the West Indies. Might they have meant Bermuda?

www.angloboerwar.com/other-information/8...mp-for-boers-bermuda

Some of the WIR served for a short time guarding prisoners at St Helena from September 1900 until being relocated to Sierre Leonne in January 1901.

The cause of their ejection can be read here: api.parliament.uk/historic-hansard/commo...90P0_19010307_HOC_89
Dr David Biggins

Boer POWs: West Indies 2 years 1 month ago #81774

• familyhistory
  • familyhistory's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 6
David
Many thanks for your reply. I need to check the other local newspapers to see if they are more specific about the “West Indies”
Tony

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.355 seconds