Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 11 months ago #10609

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
I thought the attached might be of interest as it's a superb piece and names the men of the Imperial Light Horse who were the first to relieve Mafeking under the command of Major Karri Davies.

Leopard Antiques in Cape Town had two of them - this one to 'Farmer' Francis, one of the best big game shots in Africa who was later killed as a Captain in Steinaecker's Horse (his brother, also ILH, was killed during the relief) and one to J. Emerton.

As recorded in a previous post A. B. Duirs and E. W. Warby were also in the first section to relieve Ladysmith. Does anyone know the names of the others in the Ladysmith relief?

Best wishes,

Justin

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: iaindh

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 11 months ago #10619

• Brett Hendey
  • Thank you received: 717
A wonderful piece of Boer War memorabilia! Thank you for showing it. I have a friend with a particular interest in Farmer Francis and I will show this post to him.

Regards
Brett

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 11 months ago #10620

• coldstream
  • Thank you received: 214
Justin,

As Brett says, a wonderful piece, thank you for sharing.

Paul :)
"From a billow of the rolling veldt we looked back, and black columns were coming up behind us."

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 11 months ago #10622

• Anthony Govender
  • Thank you received: 19
Brett

There is a memorial to Farmer Francis in a church in Gale Street.

Regards
Anthony

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 11 months ago #10638

• QSAMIKE
  • Thank you received: 1879
Fantastic piece.......

Hope that the wife does not use it at Christmas to serve eggnog.... :lol:

Mike
Life Member
Past-President Calgary
Military Historical Society
O.M.R.S. 1591

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 11 months ago #10642

• munroe
  • Thank you received: 48
Hi

Tpr L M? Harvey ILH - I had this QSA but never knew he rode in on the patrol or I would still have it today. I bought it with his brothers medal which was a QSA no bar to SF Harvey WilgeFontein RA. It was paired with his Natal 1906. L Harvey also served in the Wilgefontein RA and he is incorrectly recorded as L H Hurrey.

I believe if memory serves me right his QSA with Relief of Mafeking,Relief of Ladysmith, Tvl and Tugela Heights clasp sold on City Coins a few years ago if memory serves me right. On the Roll he is 718 Tpr LK ?? Harvey

It is a great double relieving bar QSA but the fact he rode in 1st is very special. Mayeb he was given this honour because he was at the relief of Ladysmith. Would be nice to check all the names on the tray.

Very nice piece

Regards

Munroe

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 7.859 seconds