Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 9 months ago #12597

• JustinLDavies
  • JustinLDavies's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 119
Dear all,

Very interesting posts.

Karri Davies was a bit of a legend - it was also reported in the press that he was the first man into Johannesburg, which would have been poetic justice given his involvement in the Reform Committee and raising the ILH. He put a statement in The Times saying that it was in fact Major F.J. Davies, Grenadier Guards.

Brett, if memory serves me right Gough's version of the Relief of Ladysmith is included in Gibson's history of the I.L.H. and the honour of first in went to Trooper Christian, who rode past him saying something along the lines that an Eton boy should be first into Ladysmith.

Best wishes,

Justin

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

The first men to relieve Mafeking - Imperial Light Horse silver salver 10 years 9 months ago #12598

• iaindh
  • Thank you received: 35
Hi Justin,

in Gough's account, he said that "Christian, a trooper in the ILH, who knew Johnnie (my brother, beseigned) and me at Eton, had come galloping up alongside of me saying, 'An Eton boy must be first into Ladysmith!'"
He doesn't actually say Christian overtook him and they were both Eton boys.

regards, Iain

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.325 seconds