Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Family History Research - The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 10 years 1 day ago #19972

• GeneMaiden
  • GeneMaiden's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi all

Yesterday, I discovered that one of my ancestors served in The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and was serving in Ceylon in 1896-1899 and then in the Boer War. I just have a couple of questions - his attestation record date shows 15th July 1893 in London and he received a notice and he was already serving in the militia in the East Surrey Regiment. He specifically requested The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment - I wonder why he specifically requested this regiment and not a London or local regiment? Also, on the service record it states under service home - 15.7.93-23.1.96 - does that mean that he was military training in Preston during those years or does it just mean that he was on reserve and living at his home in London until he was needed to serve in Ceylon in January 1896?

Also, please can anyone recommend a book about The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment so that I can find out more about his regiment's military involvement in the Boer War. I am sorry to ask basic questions on this subject but I am a complete novice regarding the Boer War.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Family History Research - The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 10 years 1 day ago #19974

• BereniceUK
  • Thank you received: 2307
The book you need is 'Red Roses on the Veldt' by John Downham (ISBN 1-85936-075-0),subtitled 'Lancashire Regiments in the Boer War.'

There are four parts to the book - 1) Kimberley (The Loyal North Lancashire Regt.) 2) The Relief of Ladysmith (South Lancashire Regt.) 3) The Great Advance (East Lancashire Regt.) 4) Boots and Saddles (all three regiments).

Each regiment has an honours list and a casualty list - wounded, died, killed, all with location and date.

I got a copy a couple of weeks ago from the Lancashire Regiment Museum in Preston and there was still a copy left on the shelf then.

As to why he requested the LNL Regt. perhaps his father had served in it or a relative or a friend from school was serving when he enlisted.
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeneMaiden

Family History Research - The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 10 years 1 day ago #19976

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Home Service was in Great Britain and generally speaking after 1881 you can forget about territorial issues regarding the county regiments, for example, a recruit to the Manchester's could have joined in London or indeed the Curragh, but, he would have ended up in Ashton under Lyne!
That very old coat, "for what corps are you willing to be enlisted" buttoned over many young lads rather well.
The way it normally worked was that you could be almost pressganged in a public house, or you might be a choice maker having been brought before the civil power for some offence or other, however, if you were serving in the Militia, it was often the case that you were headhunted again by the recruiters, all very common in the county regiments.
It was a little differant for the Corps and in the case of the Cavalry, it was the norm to attest for the "Corps" of Lancers/Hussars/Dragoons or DG, so a man would then join any given regiment that was actually in need of new blood within his chosen Corps.
Interestingly, the practice of "claiming" also was commonplace and continued well into the 20th century.
So if a man already serving in the army had a younger brother who then joined another regiment/corps, the elder brother could actually claim him for his own regiment, moreover, he would be encouraged to do so because if he did, he would receive a sum of money.

quote="GeneMaiden" post=19972]Hi all

Yesterday, I discovered that one of my ancestors served in The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment and was serving in Ceylon in 1896-1899 and then in the Boer War. I just have a couple of questions - his attestation record date shows 15th July 1893 in London and he received a notice and he was already serving in the militia in the East Surrey Regiment. He specifically requested The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment - I wonder why he specifically requested this regiment and not a London or local regiment? Also, on the service record it states under service home - 15.7.93-23.1.96 - does that mean that he was military training in Preston during those years or does it just mean that he was on reserve and living at his home in London until he was needed to serve in Ceylon in January 1896?

Also, please can anyone recommend a book about The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment so that I can find out more about his regiment's military involvement in the Boer War. I am sorry to ask basic questions on this subject but I am a complete novice regarding the Boer War.[/quote]
The following user(s) said Thank You: GeneMaiden

Family History Research - The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 10 years 1 day ago #19977

• GeneMaiden
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you, BereniceUK for recommending the book - I will definitely keep a look out for it online.

I haven't found a relation so far who had served in the Loyal North Lancashire Regiment but there must have been an important reason to request the Regiment.

Family History Research - The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 10 years 1 day ago #19978

• GeneMaiden
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Thank you for explaining about Home Service, Frank.

Just to clarify - when he was serving at 'home'in Great Britain according to his service record between 15th July 1893 until 23rd January 1896 does that mean that he is in reserve - living and waiting at home until he was needed to serve in Ceylon in 1896 or does it mean that he was living and training at Preston between 1893 to 1896?

Sorry to keep asking.

Family History Research - The Loyal North Lancashire Regiment 10 years 1 day ago #19979

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Home service, simply means on duty with his regiment at whatsoever location within Great Britain that his regiment was actually barracked at, service papers clearly show transfer to the Army Reserve, what was his name?

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.422 seconds