TOPIC:

George Walter Wilson (Halliday) DOB 24/5/1869 10 years 11 months ago #11215

• Jenny01
  • Jenny01's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hi there

I have been looking for information on my grandfather George Wilson (born George Walter Halliday) .
He arrived in Cape Town from London on 22/11/1899 and accompanied Captain Corbett an appointed Adjutant to the Uitenhage Rifles arriving at Uitenhage on 3/12/1899 where he enlisted as a private in the U.V.R. portion of Marshalls Horse until his volunteer discharge at Grahamstown on 29/11/1900.
On 4/2/1901 he enrolled in Warren's Mounted Rifles until he was discharged at Worcester on 13/5/1901 after which he returned to Cape Town.
On 20/6/1901 George joined the Duke of York's Own Volunteer Rifles and was discharged at his own request on 21/11/1908.
On 19/7/1902 he married Louisa Marshall under the name of George Walter Halliday Wilson.
The above information is from his own declaration before a Notary Public on 30/9/1931.
None of the family know why he changed his surname from Halliday to Wilson.
I have been unable to find any military information about him online so any thoughts or information would be much appreciated.
Thank you

Jenny, Christchurch, New Zealand

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

George Walter Wilson (Halliday) DOB 24/5/1869 10 years 11 months ago #11219

• JustinLDavies
  • Thank you received: 121
Dear Jenny,

Thank you for your post and welcome. There are others on the forum more qualified to respond about medal rolls, enlistment papers etc. but as a couple of remarks - the official title of 'Warren's Mounted Rifles' was 'Warren's Mounted Infantry' and I think the 'Duke of York's' might be the Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles.

Best wishes,

Justin

George Walter Wilson (Halliday) DOB 24/5/1869 10 years 11 months ago #11227

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Jenny,
I echo Justin's welcome, there is a G Wilson who would appear to be a probable match, a very brief look in WO100 confirms his actual wartime service as Marshall's Horse from the 3rd of December 1899 to the 29th of November 1900, Warrens Mounted Infantry from the 4th of February 1901 to the 13th of May 1901 and the DOEVR from the 20th of June 1901 to the 31st of August 1902.
All were very good units and you can be proud of him.
His numbers were 456 Marshall's Horse, 273 Warren's Mounted Infantry and 2960 Duke of Edinburgh's Own Volunteer Rifles.
Marshall's Horse and Warren's Mounted Infantry were part of the South African Mounted Irregular Force, raised for general service in South Africa and you might find his original attestation and discharge papers in WO126 at The National Archives Kew London, Marshall's Horse would be WO126/89-90 and Warren's Mounted Infantry would be WO126/164, in addition you might find something in WO126/44 for his time in the DOEVR, less likely though, for this latter.
Again, welcome to this forum!
Kind regards Frank

George Walter Wilson (Halliday) DOB 24/5/1869 10 years 11 months ago #11344

• Jenny01
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Frank

Thank you so much for the information.
I went to the library and was able to find and print out "Roll of Individuals entitled to Queen's South Africa Medal" for George. These were for Warrens Mounted Infantry, DEO Edinburgh RG Artillery, and Edinbro Company RGA. I didn't see anything for Marshalls Horse.
Also where do I look to see the dates of service you mentioned as I would like to print them out as well.

Kind regards
Jenny

George Walter Wilson (Halliday) DOB 24/5/1869 10 years 11 months ago #11345

• Jenny01
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Justin

Thank you very much for your reply. I wondered if Warren's Mounted Rifles could be Warren's Mounted Infantry but wouldn't have thought Duke of York may be Duke of Edinburgh.

With your and Frank's response I was able to find and print details of "UK Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls" which list George's name x3.

Kind Regards
Jenny

George Walter Wilson (Halliday) DOB 24/5/1869 10 years 11 months ago #11347

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Jenny,
You looking at two differant George Wilson's, from your original post, the man you are looking for did not serve in the Royal Garrison Artillery, he did serve in the Duke of Edinburghs Volunteer Rifles though.
Dates of service are those shown on the medal rolls in WO100 and will also be on any surviving papers that I've already mentioned
Regards Frank

Jenny01 wrote: Hi Frank

Thank you so much for the information.
I went to the library and was able to find and print out "Roll of Individuals entitled to Queen's South Africa Medal" for George. These were for Warrens Mounted Infantry, DEO Edinburgh RG Artillery, and Edinbro Company RGA. I didn't see anything for Marshalls Horse.
Also where do I look to see the dates of service you mentioned as I would like to print them out as well.

Kind regards
Jenny

Attachments:

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 1.477 seconds