TOPIC:

Steinaecker's Horse 11 years 4 months ago #7192

• Staffan
  • Staffan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello,
I am doing research on my grandmothers uncle, Arvid Mauritz Baagoe, from Sweden. According to records he joined Steinaecker’s Horse on 17 January 1901 in DUR and left (died) on 16 May 1902. According to the Roll of Honour he had serial no. 1247 and died of remittent fever in Koomatiport. Any further information anybody has about him or what operations he might have been involved in would be highly appreciated. He was the son of a well to do farmer in Engelholm, Sweden and his ancestry was from Svendborg, Denmark, where the Baagoe family had been wealthy merchants for generations. He trained as a dentist before setting out for Australia. Arvid must have been a true adventurer! Best regards, Staffan

This message has an attachment file.
Please log in or register to see it.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Re: Steinaecker's Horse 11 years 4 months ago #7195

• djb
  • Administrator
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 4531
Staffan,

Given his prior service in the NVAC and IHC, I suggest you have a look through the nominal rolls on this site and see if you can find him.

Good luck!
David
Dr David Biggins

Re: Steinaecker's Horse 11 years 4 months ago #7215

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Staffan
I cite "Steinaecker"s Horsemen" by W.Woolmore (ISBN 0-9584782-4-4) re Arvid BAAGOE. Hospital Corporal 1247; born Sweden 11101868 and served previously as Bearer A. BAAGAE n/n with NVAC from 09121899-07031900 and as Orderly n/n with the Imperial Hospital Corps from 08081900. Enlisted SH at Durban 17011901 age 33 height 5ft 6.5", blue eyes, light brown hair. NoK brother E. BAAGOE, Helsingborg, Sweden. ARVID DofD Komati Port 16051902 and remains were later reinterred at the Barberton Military Cemetary. His QSA had clasps TH, RofL and Tv. and KSA two clasps issued off SH roll.
Sounds like an interesting chap.
Regards
IL.

Re: Steinaecker's Horse 11 years 4 months ago #7221

• Frank Kelley
  • Thank you received: 954
Hello Staffan,
I really like Steinaeckers Horse, in fact I think it was the best unit in the SAMIF, but, that is just me! :woohoo:
I've actually seen and held various memoranda regarding Steinaecker and his men, which includes comments like "Whilst Steinaecker is certainly not a gentleman, he does have his uses" etc!
They did things on a day by day basis that others were stopped from doing after they had been caught.
Anyway Staffan, Baagoe is shown in WO127, but, it does not tell you anything you do not already know though.
Regarding his medals he is shown on WO100/261 page 16 which is the QSA roll of the Natal Volunteer Ambulance Corps, the medal and Clasps Tugela Heights Relief of Ladysmith were issued from here, his name is spelt Bagow with service from the 2nd of January 1900 to the 12th of February 1900 and the rank of Bearer, I would regard these dates as very suspect and I would go with the dates in WO127 that Ian quotes from Bill Woolmores book.
His Transvaal clasp was issued from WO100/276 page 99 as a Trooper, number 1247, in Steineackers Horse.
His KSA is also shown on WO100 and confirms additional service with the NVAC, as a Bearer, and the IHC, as an Orderly, his rank of Hospital Corp is shown there too, with a note regarding the issue of the medal.
You should be very very proud of him, as I am sure you are!

Welcome to this forum Staffan, very best regards Frank

WO100/365 page 200 KSA roll and note!
Attachments:

Re: Steinaecker's Horse 11 years 4 months ago #7228

• Staffan
  • Staffan's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello again,

Many thanks to all of you for your replies, very helpful. It is clear that I need to learn a lot about this topic. Does anyone know how I could get hold of a copy of Bill Wollmore's book?

Also, I am curious about why Arvid Baagoe enlisted in these particular units. Would it be feasible to find out who joined on the same dates, maybe there are other Scandinavian names mentioned that could help explain this?

Bye for now, and Merry Christmas to everyone!

Staffan B)

Re: Steinaecker's Horse 11 years 4 months ago #7229

• LinneyI
  • Thank you received: 1541
Staffan
Try the book's author at [email protected]. You could also punch the ISBN into your favourite engine and see what comes up. That is why I quote the ISBN and it works for me.
Regards
IL.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Staffan

• Page:
Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.518 seconds