TOPIC:

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88253

• Wipmat
  • Wipmat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Good morning all.

I am doing some research on a family member, great-grandfather in this case, and am lead to believe that he may have served in South Africa / Boer War. This came as quite a surprise as nobody in the famuily was aware of this. I learned of this through a statement of a contemporary at the tiime in a different, yet official archival source.

If it is true, I would very much like to retrieve the miltary record. But first I need to verifty if the information is factual. Can anybody assist me to identify if my family member served in South Africa? I am unsure of any regimental details.

He was born in Dublin, Ireland in 1876, and the name is Richard (Dick) McCormack. The surname is sometimes spelled "McCormick. I would hope that the name and dyear of bith might assist in verifying if there is an actual military record.

Any help would be greatly appreciated to solve this unexpected mysterty.

Many thanks,

David

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88254

• Rory
  • Thank you received: 2121
To give you an idea of the enormity of the task at hand - see below

Was there a second name perhaps? The only "fit", going with the first iteration of the spelling, is the Antrim chap.

Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wipmat

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88255

• Wipmat
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Good morning. Unfortunately I do not have any other data at present. The whole topic came as quite a surprise. I was reading a report from a different archival source and this person mentioned that Richard McCormack had served in South Africa.

Normally, with the mosaic effect, or several pieces of info, it can help narrow down the search. I have a date of death as 12th feb, 1966 but unfortunately, no exact date of birth which would have been very helpful to narrow it down. The archival material does state year of birth as 1876, and two variants for the surname: Richard McCormick and Richard McCormack. Place of birth is certainly Dublin. A friend of his had also served, a certain Christopher Poole, possibly this may help narrow down as they might have been in the same regiment. But then again, maybe not. Sorry I cannot be more specific but it came as quite a surprise.

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88262

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 766
When you enter Dublin as his place of birth the 108 records all disappear. If you change the "a" to an "i" in his surname 2 other records pop up. They are duplicates for the same man who served in the Royal Irish Fusiliers with the regimental number 5410. He attested in 1895 aged 18 and served in Egypt before going to S Africa as part of the 1st Battalion in September 1899 and going home in September 1902. When he attested he gave his birth place as St Paul's parish, Dublin; his occupation as "Labourer" and his father, Robert as his next of kin and his address as 13 Henrietta Street, Dublin. His Queens South Africa Medal bore 3 clasps - Orange Free State, Transvaal & Talana. His Kings South Africa Medal bore both date clasps as one would expect considering his service dates. His attestation papers and service record can be found on Find My Past.

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88265

• Wipmat
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
I think we may have our man!

I actually have a census record here from Dublin with his marriage details. And indeed, father's name is listed as Robert. Still could be a coincidence so I need to verify further but this is extremely helpful, and also quite a surprise if it is him :-o

Is there a way I can get a copy of his service record rather or specifics of what hiis activities where in these service locations?

Many thanks Smethwick for that last piece of information!
The following user(s) said Thank You: Smethwick

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88266

• Smethwick
  • Thank you received: 766
Attached are his undamaged set of attestation papers & service records.

To gain more info on his involvement in the ABW click on the Unit Information on the left, then select "Imperial Units" option and enter "Royal Irish Fusiliers" in the search box.

Regards, David.
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.512 seconds