Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88337

• SWB
  • Thank you received: 451

Wipmat wrote: Thank you very much for this additional informational information that is filling in many gaps on my ancestors service. I am curious as to why the Boers released some men and kept others. Perhaps as a bargaining chip for future prisoner exchanges, that they could provision while maintaining their mobility?

When released from captivity, would troops gradually be put back into service? As I notice that he is listed as returning home in September 1902. Many thanks again.

The Boers certainly held onto members of the aristocracy and "rich gentlemen" soldiers of the Imperial Yeomanry as they had an idea they could be use in negotiations but that failed.

If released prisoners were fit enough they went back to their regiments in South Africa.
Researcher & Collector
The Register of the Anglo-Boer Wars 1899-1902
theangloboerwars.blogspot.co.uk/
www.facebook.com/boerwarregister
The following user(s) said Thank You: Wipmat

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Verification Topic 1 year 2 months ago #88360

• Wipmat
  • Wipmat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Many thanks again.

Verification Topic 1 year 3 weeks ago #89228

• Wipmat
  • Wipmat's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 1
Hi all. I am resuurecting this topic as it has been so fascinating. Through this forum I have been able to identify that Richard McCormick was at Talana and Nicholsons Nek and thereafter spent 10 months in captivity. He was then released in September 1900 and I could find the actual Times newspaper scan thanks to the efforts of another user on this forum.

What now interests me in my research, is the gap from 1901-1902. Is there any way to find out what Pte. Richard McCormick (5410) of the 1st Battalion, Royal Irish Fusiliers did during that timeframe? Or shall it simply be too difficult to track and remain lost to time?

Many thanks for any recommendations if it is possible to find some more information.

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.765 seconds