Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84467

• Geoff786
  • Geoff786's Avatar Topic Author
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
  • Thank you received: 2
Incredible , that’s him. He has alluded me for years. I have a wedding cert to my ggran in Glasgow and his address at 27 Klondyke street in 1911 in the Ireland census as well as his birth cert with John and Mary mentioned. He disappeared after the 1911 census and I can’t find anything about him. Of all the relatives i research he is the one that I want to figure out. This is very much appreciated. Incredible.
Geoff
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84468

• Dave F
  • Thank you received: 1175
Hi Geoff
Do you know if he had a middle name ?
Also, was his wife called Laura ?
If not Laura, do you have his wife's full name.

Cheers

Dave.......
You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.
Best regards,
Dave

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84471

• Geoff786
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Hi Dave, by my research he married Eliza Jane Estler in 1907, had two sons James and John. I have Williams middle name of James. I also saw a record that he might of desserted at some point pre the 3rd dragoons under the name of William Carruthers. I have stood at Eliza's grave in Carmoney Northern Ireland, but William is avoiding me! The family story is he might of walked away from the family post 1911.
geoff, ps i'm in canada.

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84473

• Dave F
Hello Geoff
Many thanks for the additional information.
With reference to your suspicion of a possible desertion?
Some information for you to consider.

I had a look through the military files and came across a William Carrothers ( note spelling of surname) This chap was a deserter from the Royal Irish Fusiliers, regimental number 6724. He deserted on the 12th of February 1900 at Belfast. However here are his details.

Born in Magiuresbridge Fermanagh, aged 18 years and 6 months,
5 foot 6 and a quarter inches tall, complexion fresh, hair brown, eyes blue , occupation grocer. Enlisted 1899 at Portadown.
If you cross check with the Dragoon paperwork I posted.
The only difference regarding W Boles ref 3rd Dragoons is the colour of his eyes. I think W Carruthers changed his mind about the Fusiliers and travelled 52 miles to Dundalk and joined the Dragoons of the Line the next day. A tight timeframe I admit,but dooable. I couldn't find anything more on 6724 Pte Carrothers reference military service. This is just a theory on my part but thought it was worth mentioning.

I did find the marriage certification dated 1908 which had William and Eliza Jane living at 166 Holm Street Glasgow.
Eliza was aged 27 and a Cottonwinder, William was 25 and a Coachman.

The 1911 census ref the Klondyke address has William & Eliza living with Eliza's mother Annie and their two sons James and John.

Just a quick question regarding the surname Boles? Is there a family connection with that name? The difficulty now is to find your Great Grandfather after 1911. Do we search for Carruthers or Boles?

There are many entries on Ancestry for each of those surnames, so if you could add any additional clues it may be possible to find him.
You mentioned the family think he may have walked away from his wife and children? Would that be from Ireland? Was there any mention of your G Grandfather ever serving in WW1?

I noticed that his wife Eliza died in 1964 if I have the right E Carutthers.
I have found quite a few W Carruthers and various Boles / Bowles who have travelled to and from the US, Canada, Australia, South Africa. I can certainly see how the trail has gone cold on finding your G Grandfather. However, if you can think of any little detail that may help, we can have go and see if we can find the elusive Mr William James Carruthers / Boles.

Best regards

Dave.......
Best regards,
Dave

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84477

• Geoff786
  • Fresh recruit
  • Fresh recruit
Dave, you nailed all parts. Addresses, burial and people. I think what happened is he used his mothers maiden name for the dragoons as he had used carruthers for rif. The various cert i have 1908 wedding, his 1880 bc all have boles/bowles/carruthers/carrothers on them in some iteration tied to Guiltagh a small cross road of a hamlet. i suspect not to many of them there at that time. I also have this photo that was passed down, i think its him and his brothers and maybe father. one chap thinks its post ww1.
also i look at the guy on the right in the group photo. tell me your opinion on the single image photo. same personust younger? I think his name is Harry/henry carrothers and was his brother who died in 1920 by drowning in belfast and is buried there. I also think that the clan moved to belfast and resided on roseleigh street (cenus). anyways, he is the top of my list and drives me nuts!

Mary Boles/Bowles is his mother.
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: Dave F

William Boles -aka William Carruthers 1 year 9 months ago #84491

• Dave F

Your images Geoff.
There are some facial similarities with the images of Harry.
The uniform in my humble opinion look WW1. If they are Williams family is it possible they could be his brothers, James, John T and Samuel ? The father John was recorded as being an Agent of some kind. If that is your Great Great Grandfather in the picture, he certainly looks the part. Do you have any military history regarding William's brothers?
Over the weekend I will have a trawl through the records and see if I can find any additional details on William Carrothers/ Carruthers/ Boles.

Dave.......
Best regards,
Dave
Attachments:

Moderators: djb
Time to create page: 0.819 seconds